Looking into options for media storage and playback

easyslippers

Estimable
Jan 31, 2016
Hi,I'm looking into options for media storage and playback, and am a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

Currently I use a media playback device called a Lacie Lacinema HD. A media player with built in 2TB storage, ethernet and HDMI connector. Normally I send files to it from my PC, and watch them on my TV. Its been acting up lately, think its on the way out with intermittent power failures and I'd like to get ahead and have a new solution in place before it dies completely and I lose around 2TB of movies and tv shows. They don't appear to be sold anymore so replacing it isn't an option.

Options I have encountered seem to be many, varied and costly. If I provide a list of requirements, I'm hoping for a few suggestions/build ideas for a budget of say £300 - but feel free to go lower, or a little higher if I must.

Requirements:

Media Storage solution, with capacity of 2TB+ - NOT a cloud server. Local storage only.
HDMI connectivity - hook up to my HDTV
Ethernet connectivity - Send files to it from my PC
Media playback ability through use of a remote control.

Highly desired:
Option to upgrade/RAID storage for extra data security.
Quiet, small, low power, low cost.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Solution
You can connect that drive to an Android TV box or as I do to an inexpensive refurbished lenovo laptop with HDMI. My projector is set as the 2nd display so I can use the laptop display at the same time. Using the laptop means you can play any file types since you can use VLC or any other playback software. Don't forget to back up your media to another drive. I do this and use the backup in another room.
You can connect that drive to an Android TV box or as I do to an inexpensive refurbished lenovo laptop with HDMI. My projector is set as the 2nd display so I can use the laptop display at the same time. Using the laptop means you can play any file types since you can use VLC or any other playback software. Don't forget to back up your media to another drive. I do this and use the backup in another room.

Solution