xboy1999

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2015
I am looking to buy a custom built Laptop, but I can't seem to find the right company to go with any advice?

I've already looked into ORIGIN, AlienWare, Puget, Xotic, MainGear, Falcon-NW(=Northwest), CyberPowerPC, and IronSide-PCs. Out of all of these, IronSide is the cheapest for what I want.

*This will be a Desktop Replacement*

My Setup on IronSide:

Intel Core I7-6700K 4.0GHz (Quad Core)
32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 2133MHz
1TB 7200RPM
2TB 5400RPM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 8GB GDDR5
Windows 10 64 Bit
Killer Dual Band Wireless-AC N1525 AC + BT Combo Card
Built-In 9-In-1 Media Card Reader/Writer [Laptop]

All this on Ironside comes to a total of $2566. On all the other sites the minimum is $2800.
(Last time I checked)

I am only looking for a Windows. Will be using it for Gaming/GameCreation.
(Ex. of Games: CS:GO, Just Cause 2/3, COD, BO4, Minecraft, etc.)

Thanks in Advance!

Solution

SKIPPY PB

Estimable
Jan 9, 2015
Did Bungie ever drop Destiny for the PC port? They started by saying they where going to, then said the scratched that idea and weren't going too. May I ask why you want a laptop? Its going to be expensive no matter what. And at the rate technology is changing it will become outdated fairly fast. Laptops are very hard to upgrade in order to stay with the times. Although you will be fine for a long while running unity/UE and casual gaming.

My only comments are Alienware's are made and owned by Dell now. It is not the company it once was.

You have latest gen i7 @ 4 GHz, a 980m, 32gb of RAM but I don't see a SSD and do see two spinners ??

I use Unity, Blender, UE, etc while I have a game running using one stick of 8GB ram DDR3. 32gb is nice but do you really need it? Personally I would rather get less out the box and upgrade as I see necessary.

3,000 GB is a lot of space. How many steam games do you have and/or play at one time?? I would personally run like a 250 or 500gb SSD and then a 1TB spinner if I where building up a laptop.

A 17" Alienware Optioned up with

i7-6820HK
16gb DDR4
GTX 980M
128GB SSD + 1TB Spinner

Comes to $2100 and Alienware isn't usually the cheapest.

Why does it have to be called "custom"? Why not get an off brand gaming laptop with great reviews, such as MSI, gigabyte, or lenovo, etc.

xboy1999

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2015

First off, I never knew Destiny wasn't going to be released for PC. Shame on me for not keeping up with the latest in games.

Laptops cannot be upgraded as easily as Desktops this I already knew. I understand that it will be outdated rather quickly, but is there any way to actually keep up with all the updates?

As I said in my question I will be using this mostly for Gaming and Game Creation.
(Will probably use it for Video Editing as well)

All the Devs that I have talked to say you need tons of RAM+Storage to be able to handle the stress it gives the PC. So I might not need 32GB but doesn't it give advantages over just having 8GB or 16GB?

The reason I mainly don't want to go with a off brand gaming laptop is the customization that comes along with ordering from a company that specializes in "Custom PCs". Such as better support, you can pick your own parts, and some even provide a custom paint job if your willing to pay.

I mainly picked 3TB for my build because for the price of a 500GB-SSD I can get a 2TB-HD for $90 cheaper! What makes SSD's so much better? :??:

I'm sorry if I act like a total noob towards this, but I always thought bigger ment better when it came to PCs.

SKIPPY PB

Estimable
Jan 9, 2015

Why not build a smaller desktop? You might be able to do more for less.

The question is really how much do you need? Do you really need 3,000 GB of storage? If you have the money by all means go for it. I would rather buy motorcycle parts and save a few pennies.

If you are not going into video editing and game creation at a professional level I really dont think you need to max everything out. I run blender and unity on my 2005 dell xps and it runs fine. At this rate your hardware most likely will get outdated before average games require 32 gb's

On my current build with a z97 i7 and 8GB of ram. It is just as smooth, just opens a bit faster.

An SSD is going to allow the computer to access files a lot faster. The new intel CPU's will outrun some spinners in certain situations. Me personally I would rather buy parts for my motorcycle than spend that much on a laptop. Or buy new games, or a new mouse, keyboard with the money I save.

Just my 2 cents. Your builds not bad by any means.

Solution

xboy1999

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2015

I know this is a really really late reply (lol), but I went ahead and chose the MSI GL72-6QF. Thanks for the help :)