Looking to upgrade my gaming Laptop - suggestions?

ForestDingo

Estimable
Aug 13, 2014
I was looking around for some good deals and I came across this guy - https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GT72VR-Tobii-031-Hardcore-i7-6700HQ/dp/B01IO9Y35G/ref=sr_1_8?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1491175581&sr=1-8&keywords=gaming%2Blaptop%2B1070&th=1

I noticed that there's a second version with more ram (32gb vs 16gb)/bigger SSD (512gb vs 128gb)) for $600 more. Not sure if it's worth it, but that seems like quite a jump for only a RAM/SSD upgrade - https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GT72VR-Tobii-031-Hardcore-i7-6700HQ/dp/B01IO9YB7G/ref=sr_1_8?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1491175581&sr=1-8&keywords=gaming%2Blaptop%2B1070&th=1

What do you guys think? Any other suggestions for laptops would be great too. My budget is around $1500-$1600

jaguarskx

Champion
It's not worth it. If the primary purpose is to play games, then 16GB of RAM is more than enough.

The more expensive version has a PCIe NVMe SSD interface rather than the typical SATA 3 SSD interface. PCIe NVMe SSDs are both more expensive and faster than SATA SSDs; they also run a bit hotter. For gaming a SATA SSD is more than enough. If you are a professional video editor, then you definitely want PCIe NVMe because you would likely be working with multiple very / extremely large files that can take a long time to load and will definitely cause lower performance due to the amount of time need to load files into memory; and 32GB of RAM would be a good idea for professional video editing.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Laptop General Discussion 1
J Laptop General Discussion 2
Lutfij Laptop General Discussion 0
C Laptop General Discussion 1
S Laptop General Discussion 5
J Laptop General Discussion 8
S Laptop General Discussion 4
D Laptop General Discussion 1
D Laptop General Discussion 3
A Laptop General Discussion 2
D Laptop General Discussion 2