Lost files with chrome book password change

briteside777

Commendable
Oct 1, 2018
Hello! I'm not tech savvy. My chrome book's "a" key isn't working, so I changed my password to be without the letter a. I proceeded, not realizing the significance of the warning. Now my files are all GONE. Is it too late to do anything? I know the password, just couldn't type the "a", and it wouldn't let my paste the "a".

Thanks for any help.

Oh...Is it possible that my files might be accessed through my Samsung phone? Sorry if that's a silly question.

Solution

What hang-the-9 said is about right: Local data refers to any data saved on the computer, and only on that computer.

If anything was automatically backed up (per any...
Hey there briteside. Changing your password shouldn't delete anything. Can you be a little more specific on what you did & how you went about it? And if your files were setup to sync across devices using the same Google account(s), then yes, you should be able to access anything that was backed up & synced.

briteside777

Commendable
Oct 1, 2018
Thanks for responding. I'm not tech savvy enough to understand exactly what sync means in this context.

Google wanted my old password in order to change it to something else. When I couldn't provide it due to the missing letter "a" , it said I could proceed but would lose "local data", I think it stated. I didn't realized that included my files.

I did some research. On chrome book, there's encryption between your password and certain data, like files, from what I understand. BTW, I don't actively back up, so if it's not automatic, it's not backed up.

Your data is gone "local data' is anything you saved on the system. Once you mess up encryption your files are not recoverable. Without the letter a working you are at a bit of an issue with using that system anyway unless you use an external keyboard or replace it. Not a lot of things you can type without an "a". You can check your Google account and see if your files are saved in Google Drive or somewhere.

What hang-the-9 said is about right: Local data refers to any data saved on the computer, and only on that computer.

If anything was automatically backed up (per any default settings), then you can access that data across any device that you can log into the same Google account from (not all data may have been backed, if any of it was). Otherwise, sorry to say, that data is gone - unless you want to pay a lab technician a lot of money to get it back.

Solution

briteside777

Commendable
Oct 1, 2018

I've been pasting the letter a when needed. It wouldn't work for the password though. I'm really not a fan of the chrome book. In addition to this issue, there are sites I can't print from because my device is not Windows based. I do extreme couponing and probably could have bought new laptop with all the high value coupons I've not been able to print due to chrome book not using Windows. I guess I don't see the benefit of the chrome book's system.

I checked my google drive on my phone...found lots of files from chrome book, but none were the recent ones I seek. I wasn't backing up files.

Thanks for the replies!

Chromebooks do have their uses, for example in school where a lot of school systems use Google Docs and storage for their work. It is not good for everyone though, and the funny part is that the market for them, simple use or those not familiar with computers, are the ones most likely to know know all the details about them and purchase the wrong thing for them.

My daughter had a pretty high end gaming computer and replaced it with a Chromebook, is very happy with it.

You can pick up a new or used normal laptop for the price or many Chromebooks, especially the nicer ones like I got for my daughter with a metal frame and tablet mode.

Look for a used Lenovo T420s laptop with a solid state hard drive, should be about $150 in very good shape and with a good battery, or a T430s for about $180.

briteside777

Commendable
Oct 1, 2018

Today I realized I had a bunch of e gift cards saved as screen shots in my lost files. Fortunately, I can recreate them by researching old emails, but it will be an ordeal.

I don't know if I would be comfortable with used electronics. I think I will look for something on Black Friday - it will be here soon enough. I really need something that's not a chrome book. I appreciate your input and help. :)