Question Lost OTA signal from 2 channels

Jul 17, 2021
I have 2 TVs with coax coming from an outdoor antenna. They both were receiving all the local stations. Now the upstairs TV lost 2 channels (which share a transmission tower that is only 6 miles away) while the downstairs TV still gets all the channels. Tried a third TV in its place & it had the same problem upstairs, although it picked up all the channels downstairs. Had an extra coax cable so tried that between the upstairs wall outlet & the 2 TVs, & they both picked up all the channels, but only for a couple days. Everything is still good with the downstairs TV. How do I find a more permanent solution?

BEAUFORD_SAVAGE

Respectable
Sep 6, 2020
This is simply a low signal level problem, and will vary with the weather, quality of antenna, etc. Most people have found out that a more expensive amplified antenna is VERY hit or miss, some amplified antenna's make things worse as they amplify the noisy atmosphere we now live in, what with everything being wireless, and the harmonics of all that wireless stuff. About the only fairly certain bet is something you don't want. A big *ssed tower antenna pointing at the stations you want to get. Short of that unsightly solution, Purchasing the local channels by some carrier, or getting lucky with a quality indoor antenna, or as I also am in a fringe area, I bought a amplified antenna and put it outdoors. It has a comb filter that blocks most of the non-TV noise, and amplify's mostly just TV signal. I wish I could give you the brand I got lucky on, but it's been to long to remember. But looking for 1 that specifically says it uses a comb filter is your best gamble. Then put it outside, away from you computer stuff. A friend of mine uses a old style un-amplified set of rabbit ears, and it works! (No such thing as a "Digital TV antenna" despite what the commercials say.)
TV tuners on OLD sets used to be much higher gain, but now they expect people will have a provider. Sorry I could not be more definitive.

Jul 17, 2021
Thanks for the response! The problem stations are only 6 miles away, so I would not say I am in a fringe area. I started out with an indoor Mohu Leaf antenna which had similar problems receiving all the local stations. My outdoor antenna came with an amplifier, but I found that it does not help, probably for the reasons you mentioned. The outdoor antenna is at the diagonally opposite corner of the house from the computers & router (which are also in a different room from either TV) so that interference should be minimal. I have put a switch on the downstairs TV so I can try either antenna at any time, & often the indoor does better than the outdoor on those 2 problem channels. I will have to look into the comb filter, something I was not aware of. Thanks again.

BEAUFORD_SAVAGE

Respectable
Sep 6, 2020
Thanks for the response! The problem stations are only 6 miles away, so I would not say I am in a fringe area. I started out with an indoor Mohu Leaf antenna which had similar problems receiving all the local stations. My outdoor antenna came with an amplifier, but I found that it does not help, probably for the reasons you mentioned. The outdoor antenna is at the diagonally opposite corner of the house from the computers & router (which are also in a different room from either TV) so that interference should be minimal. I have put a switch on the downstairs TV so I can try either antenna at any time, & often the indoor does better than the outdoor on those 2 problem channels. I will have to look into the comb filter, something I was not aware of. Thanks again.
This may sound odd, but you may be TOO close!
I lived in a house at the same distance as you, and had the same problem. The biggest antenna I could find and put in my attic wouldn't work!

I'm pretty damn certain you are "inside the donut"
OTA Antenna's on a tall tower put out a signal that looks like a BIG donut, and you are inside the hole. Really, not kidding.
I never did solve the issue without a carrier,in my case DirecTV. And I tried everything. No TV in the house got signal, my neighbors either.

Oh, btw, people much closer in did get signal, just due to reflected signal and the shear power they get enough to watch.
You and I found the "Twilight Zone" of the signal.

Last edited: