lost power, then won't recognise battery.

g.syder

Great
Mar 12, 2018
Hi, I have a macbook pro early 2011. Logic board replaced 2 years ago, new 85 watt charger 1 year ago along with new OEM battery.
I was playing a game ( didn't get it too hot) forgot that I wasn't plugged in to power. The whole thing just switch off. I guess battery ran down and the game may have prevented the 'warning, your battery is low' message getting to me.
I plugged into power, booted up, but struck a 'boot loop' sequence. I waited an hour, tried again and it started up normally. However, the battery Icon showed 0 charge, but 'normal' and the maglite connection led has been a constant green the whole time.
I tried resetting SMC, didn't seem to work, tried again several times. I opened it up and disconnected the battery for 5 mins, connected up again, and now it doesn't even show a battery icon. coconut Battery app shows no battery either.
I checked battery connection, all good there.
Apple Hardware Test shows logic board and all else as Good/ normal.
Reset PRAM, no difference.
Also, as soon as I connect the charger to the macbook, it starts up, and, as I said, the green led is always on.
Any idea would be much appreciated ... we don't have an Apple Store anywhere here at all.

Solution
Take out the battery. Leave the magsafe unplugged. Hold the power button for 30 seconds.
Put battery back in and attach magsafe and see if it changes color.
If it doesn't then you might to replace either the power connector that attaches to the logic board, or the battery itself.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Take out the battery. Leave the magsafe unplugged. Hold the power button for 30 seconds.
Put battery back in and attach magsafe and see if it changes color.
If it doesn't then you might to replace either the power connector that attaches to the logic board, or the battery itself.

Solution

g.syder

Great
Mar 12, 2018
Yes, even though the Apple Hardware Test showed no problems .... I replaced the battery and all is as it should be. Fixed. So, a Genuine Apple battery of 10 1/2 months failed and the test didn't show it. ...