Solved! Lots of general "Before you buy" questions on vr

Status
Not open for further replies.

siaan312

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017
Well, as someone who has been only in 1 vr headset, in 2014, for 5 minutes, and hasnt seen one since, you could say im a noob.
Im here to ask a couple of question just before I buy my headset, so ill be in your care to answer them. thanks in advance~

first of all, how much space will I need for a vive or rift, is sitting vr worth it? I barely have a 1m by 1m space in my room. I do have space in the living room, but my pc is in my room. which leads me to another question, if I do go full tracking vr in my living room, how do I get my pc there? are hdmi and usb active extension cables good enough or will it make for a less enjoyable vr experience?

heres another question, and one that has been a debate for long. vive or rift? the rift is lots cheaper, at 400$ and even goes down to 350$ sometimes, while the vive is 500$ and ive never seen it go lower. maybe I just didnt check enough, but it is definitely more expensive. I also heard the rift's controllers are lots better, because they are lighter, is that true? I also also heard the rift lighthouses are not as good as the vives and tracking is mediocre on them, is it true?
if all of those are true, beside the lighthouses, the rift seems to be superior, right?

but heres the thing, the vive has first party wireless while the rift has only 3rd party wireless, but beside the headset being more expensive, the vive wireless costs about 2/3 of the headset itself..
is vr wireless worth it? does it introduce too much lag and make it easier to have motion sickness?

if it is worth it, is the 3rd party vr for the rift good enough to call viable and because of the reduced prices even worth it?

the price doesn't bother me THAT much, but I would rather pay less if possible, if the vive is heaps better I will suck it up and buy it, even the wireless for it. but if the difference between the two is minimal, I have even heard people say the rift is better, not even looking at the price tag.

also, about the new vr headsets coming this new year, will it be a better idea to wait for them and see prices drop on the old ones?
I heard rift like controllers are coming to the vive, 2 new oculus headsets and possible major reduces in price for the vive.

thanks for answering my questions!

Solution
>> Q6: I Honestly Would Just Get A Rift, And Yeah, You Should Wait, Cheaper Is Better, Right?

For the most part I agree with everything from Mr. Black, except this one is not an easy question to answer and is nuanced.
Here are the points I'd like to add...

- There has been an ongoing Price-War with all the VR manufactures as more companies entered the market, and they maneuvered for Marketshare.
Yes, the current VR headsets will drop in price further, but it is impossible to know when and why. Also, if the cause is because the HW is being grandfathered, then will you just want to purchase the new tech? Without working in the marketing dept of each company, there is no way to know the right answer to this question.

SO.. to the...
Jan 26, 2019
Q1: I Would Recommend A Decent Size Room, As Mentioned, Your Living Room Would Be Best. I Personally Have A 3x3 Meter Space And It Works Fine.

Q2: Sitting VR Is A Fun Experience But For Most Games Standing Is Recommended.

Q3: Getting A USB/HDMI Extension Isn't A Good Idea, You NEED A USB3 Port On Your Computer To Even Begin Playing VR And Unless It Is A Very Good USB Extender, I would Not Recommend It, Move Your PC Instead, Same With The HDMI, The Quality Of The VR Will Not Be Pleasant Using One Of These.

Q4: Yes, The Rift Is Superior In Terms Of Price, Build Quality And Overall Comfort, Controllers Are Good, Headset Is Comfy And The Audio Quality Is Good Aswell, I Assume Vive Is For People With Lots Of Cash That Want The Best Everything.

Q5: Im (Assuming) Wireless VR Might Be a Bit Laggier And Less Enjoyable, But If You Want To, Try It, Sounds Like It Might Be Fun And Easier To Use With There Being No Wire.

Q6: I Honestly Would Just Get A Rift, And Yeah, You Should Wait, Cheaper Is Better, Right?

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
>> Q6: I Honestly Would Just Get A Rift, And Yeah, You Should Wait, Cheaper Is Better, Right?

For the most part I agree with everything from Mr. Black, except this one is not an easy question to answer and is nuanced.
Here are the points I'd like to add...

- There has been an ongoing Price-War with all the VR manufactures as more companies entered the market, and they maneuvered for Marketshare.
Yes, the current VR headsets will drop in price further, but it is impossible to know when and why. Also, if the cause is because the HW is being grandfathered, then will you just want to purchase the new tech? Without working in the marketing dept of each company, there is no way to know the right answer to this question.

SO.. to the question of "Wait"?
Scenario1: If you are choosing Oculus THEN -- Buy now.
Reason: Any price drop won't be enough to matter that much. I think the kit drops to $300 ever so often, but who knows when that will occur again.

Scenario2: If you are choosing a Vive Pro Kit THEN -- Maybe Wait?
This is my personal scenario. I love my Vive1, but my controllers have taken a beating from too many times playing Drunken Bar Fight. (also, my drywall has little Vive Controller shaped dents.)

The knuckle Controllers will eventually be released. (I hope!) So, I'm holding off on purchasing the next version until those are released. The cost of new controllers is WAY too much for upgrade / replacements.

Scenario 3: If money is no option + Open Floor space is HUGE.
- Vive Pro with Eye Tracking + Wireless.
Cause when you really get into RoomScale, that Out of Bounds wall and the wire become your immersion bane!

---- Finally ----
At the end of the day for the average person, it will come down to, is $150 extra worth it for the Vive? That is a tough question, and I am biased as a Vive owner.

The factors to weigh are,
- Floor space.
- Can you run wires around your room?
- Tracking issues + Cost for the 3rd tracker. (no XP with this, so see Oculus folks on roomscale / tracking issues.)

The only thing I can say, is I was playing a guy in Rec Room with a Rift, and some how all of his tracking cables got tangled. I think the Vive Tracking solution is better, BUT is it $150 better? Also.. the Rift Controllers are better, and I hear the headset is quite comfy.

Who knows... it's the old NES vs Sega argument. :p

Just get it, and have fun!

(also... Rec Room IMO is the best game out there right now, and there is something wonderful about chatting with people in VR.)

... End of Ramble.

Solution

siaan312

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017

imma wait. knowing myself; ill buy a vive pro full kit 3 days before prices drop siginificantly and the new and MUCH better controllers come out, no one I know will have or want to buy vr and ill be left alone with an empty pocket and a tear.
ill wait till some friend of mine buys vr and I am sure I can buy the best of the best with no compremises. e.i vive pro with eye tracking and full body tracking and new knucle thingys.

but last question' do you know if wireless is bad or is it good?

siaan312

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017

then I will wait until prices for the better headsets drop abit and vr is more polished. probably around q4 or q1 of 2019 or 2020 respectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.