Low Frames Help!!

Itsbattles

Estimable
Jan 3, 2016
Hi i have an alienware laptop that ive had for awhile now and have always got pretty low frames on games.
Specs- 8 gigs ram
Intel core i5 and it does have integrated graphics but i feel like i should atleast get a Constant 30 fps. Any ideas will help thx

Itsbattles

Estimable
Jan 3, 2016

Alright thanks man i will try this and i will get back to u!

Itsbattles

Estimable
Jan 3, 2016

I tried it and it didnt help any other ideas??

If you always got low results in games, did you ever contact the vendor to make sure the right video card is working? I don't know of any Alienware laptop with only the onboard graphics, there should be a secondary card that it uses in games. Plus it all depends on the games and settings you play. Your post really did not give a lot of detail. 8 gig and Core i5 is not really listing specs. What model of laptop? What is the i5 CPU model?

Itsbattles

Estimable
Jan 3, 2016

Sorry here are the specs-
8.00 GIGS RAM
INTEL CORE I5-3210M CPU @ 2.50 GHZ
INTEGRATED GRAPHICS- On the graphics its showing 2 for some reason i have no clue
if i have both or something but there is on the display adapters it says
Nvidia GeForce GT 650M and also Intel HD Graphics 4000 so idk.
Also the computer is an alienware R14x
i usually try and play on all low graphics and it just gives me stupid low frames i just dont have any other ideas

Save your files to an external device and try a factory restore. If you see the 650M in device manager and there are no errors on it, it should be working. Maybe a software issue that a factory restore can fix. You also can go to the nVidia control panel and set the system to always use the nVidia card then and try the games then.

Itsbattles

Estimable
Jan 3, 2016

I have tried a factory restore multiple times and it didn't help and I have also set the card to the main already and hasn't changed.

Run the 3DMark benchmark, what score do you get? Are you testing things on wall power or battery? Is the battery in the unit? I ran into a funny issue with my laptop when it would not work properly in games on wall power when the battery was out. I was using it for WOW and went from 40 FPS to about 10 just by taking out the battery.

Disable the Intel video in Device Manager, run the benchmark again, see what the score is in relation to the first run.

Peter_Grkstyla

Estimable
Jan 8, 2016
Whats in question is is your 650m actually turning on during games, i.e. is optimus working correctly,

Disabling intel card doesnt answer that question in this case.

Best way is to download GPUz, at the bottom set the videocard to the 650m, go to the sensors tab, and you will see a GPU Load %,

with that open in the background, run your most played game (the one your not happy with) for a 5 mins or so, then exit it or alt+tab out of it, you will see the history graph of the load % in GPU will either be flat and low over the past 5 mins or it will be high and spikey.

High and spikey= your card is either too slow for your liking, or is underperforming (overheating etc)
Low and flat= your optimus isnt turning on the 650, in which case it will be fresh install of drivers (which i think you said you tried) or nvidia 3d settings forcing optimus on for the game your playing, or the videocard is faulty and optimus cant switch cards.

It could also need a BIOS update, as with alienware these sometimes come with a VBIOS update built in which can help with cooling etc.

Itsbattles

Estimable
Jan 3, 2016

I am using it on wall power because my battery is bad. I tried the benchmark stuff and it like wouldn't finish for some reason so Idk

Itsbattles

Estimable
Jan 3, 2016

Alright I will try this

I ran into an issue with my laptop just a week ago when I removed the battery and ran it on wall power, I dropped game performance by a factor of 3 or 4. I really only play World of Warcaft and was getting 40ish FPS on my workstation laptop (Lenovo W520). I removed the battery to keep it from going bad sooner, and the frames dropped to about 10-12. Put battery back in, everything went back to normal.

Try using the battery even if it's bad and see if it helps.

Itsbattles

Estimable
Jan 3, 2016

I am using my battery its in I haven't took it out