lower film Hz refresh rate than my LCD TV "needs"

Jul 10, 2018
Can a, say, 44Hz film on USB device somehow damage my TV that "likes" mostly (depending on video resolution/size) exactly 60Hz, having spec in mind in my manual? Likewise, what if I try to run a film that has more than 60Hz? Kaboom?! Thanks and thanks for Your patience.

p.s. I suppose I can use ANY video resolution as long as it is 1920 x 1080 (maximum for my TV) or below, certainly not above.

Solution
Your TV does not prefer any refresh rate, most cable TV and movies are shot at 24hz and it does that just fine. A movie like the hobbit at 44hz would be fine too. A game at 120fps would also be fine on a 60hz screen you will just get screen tearing (multiple frames on screen at once, looks ugly).

Your content can run at any refresh rate even if your tv cant display it properly without damage to the tv. No idea where you picked up the idea that 44hz content or content higher than 60hz will harm your tv lol.

Yes 1920x1080 would be your max. Pixels are a physical piece of hardware in your screen, the tv cannot grow more pixels. It can however display an image with a resolution less than 1920x1080.

Dunlop0078

Estimable
Herald
Feb 13, 2014
Your TV does not prefer any refresh rate, most cable TV and movies are shot at 24hz and it does that just fine. A movie like the hobbit at 44hz would be fine too. A game at 120fps would also be fine on a 60hz screen you will just get screen tearing (multiple frames on screen at once, looks ugly).

Your content can run at any refresh rate even if your tv cant display it properly without damage to the tv. No idea where you picked up the idea that 44hz content or content higher than 60hz will harm your tv lol.

Yes 1920x1080 would be your max. Pixels are a physical piece of hardware in your screen, the tv cannot grow more pixels. It can however display an image with a resolution less than 1920x1080.

Solution

Dunlop0078

Estimable
Herald
Feb 13, 2014

What are you using to change the refresh and resolution, with windows settings you cant cause any damage. However in say nvidia control panel it will allow you to overclock your monitor past it's native refresh rate, do that at your own risk.

With a 60hz tv, using any refresh rate below that is fine.