LulzSec Disbands After 50 Days of Hacking

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Oh, and I must add a few more points on their legacy.

I am not sure how DDoSing a small company's server is really "improving" security. Or hacking into systems, stealing information and then freely posing it online. At its worst that's crime against civilians, which - in a war - is punishable by the "crime against humanity" label.

Frankly, I still don't know what their whole mission was. Was it to embarrass companies? Then why steal information and post it online. Was it to improve security? Then why DDoS - that does nothing to improve security.

Instead, I think these guys were just bored after writing their exams at the end of the year and had nothing else to do but troll companies and farm data. If they really wanted to help improve security then they would've contacted the companies about it, and demonstrate their weakness - just like in the hacking contests.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]all this translates to is the feds caught the right aholes and now the rest of them are running scared. the feds will get all of them soon enough. a hackers meekness always is that they like to brag[/citation]

i dont think so.
personally, if i did this crap, and people were getting caught, i would go into blaze of glory mode and to hell with stealth, i would f as much up as i could till someone came to my door.

this soulds like they legitimately just wanted to go at it for 50 days.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Kaiser_25[/nom]Wow alot done for just 6 people, kinda GG on them, shows how a few people with knowledge can actually do something to disrupt the system.[/citation]

knowledge? they were just some script kiddies with a botnet ...

G

[citation][nom]Kaiser_25[/nom]Wow alot done for just 6 people, kinda GG on them, shows how a few people with knowledge can actually do something to disrupt the system.[/citation]

Seriously? You think hurling a DDoS at a server constitutes as doing something 'knowledgeable'? It's not knowledgeable at all - it's pathetic, immature, and highly irritating for every innocent person who it affects.

Although I don't condone hacking in any way, at least Anonymous are actually using true hacking skills to expose shoddy security during an age where corporations are trying to persuade us to move (often deeply sensitive data) into 'the cloud'.

I kinda see it like the aviation industry. Although it's tragic whenever any aircraft is lost along with lives, every crash brings about investigations and procedures to make sure it never happens again - online security needs to start working along the same sort of lines.

officeguy

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
People with a preference for music, a preference for food; we have varying taste in clothes and television, we are just like you. Even Hitler and Osama Bin Laden had these unique variations and style, and isn't that interesting to know?
I am glad they put themselves with the ranks of Hitler and Osama Bin Laden because that is what they are, TERRORISTS!!!

bstm400

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]what are you going on about? they were attacking secure servers not hacking social media sites like facebookFAIL[/citation]

If all you understood from anonymous and lolsec's attacks was the above statement, you better reexamine the purpose and aims of their attacks.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]officeguy[/nom]I am glad they put themselves with the ranks of Hitler and Osama Bin Laden because that is what they are, TERRORISTS!!![/citation]
Strictly speaking Hitler wasn't a terrorist, but we get your point

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
if you really think they are done just wait and see....they are still very much in action....hacking is like a drug, once you are hooked you can't just stop...why stop?

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]why stop?[/citation]
Because Facebook is one thing and the CIA is another
Those guys would have no qualms shooting you in the back of the head and dropping you in the sea

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Oh, and I must add a few more points on their legacy.I am not sure how DDoSing a small company's server is really "improving" security. Or hacking into systems, stealing information and then freely posing it online. At its worst that's crime against civilians, which - in a war - is punishable by the "crime against humanity" label.[/citation]
I have to agree with this. I would also liken it to kidnapping, hijacking, or other incidents where innocent people are targeted for the glory of the cause. They will never win my heart that way. Perhaps they thought they were teaching the innocent a lesson; however, there are more effective ways advocating change. The innocents affected by this may end up, worst case, with their identities stolen. While that might drive a few people off-line, there are millions of other "sheep" who indulge in the addiction.

In my opinion, these guys did nothing that will advance their cause in any meaningful manner. Perhaps they think that they cannot get caught, but overconfidence is usually the first mistake of any criminal.

Personally, I hope they are arrested and stuck in jail for the rest of their lives.

Katzie

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
Ever hear of a Diversion? Thats exactly why they used DDoS. Apparently these guys hacked CIA. script kiddies or not, they hacked a government network, even if it was a small breach. If those "script kiddies" can do that, imagine what a group of terrorists or another country that wants our information can do, that has the money and technology to really hit us bad, or any other country that has holes in their governments security. I'd rather get hacked by some group of kids that just do it for fun and then fix what we need to fix rather than someone wanting to shut down and destroy me. Losing a little is better than losing everything imo.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]whysobluepandabear[/nom]Are you dense? This guy was stating that they were able to expose places that were SUPPOSED to be secure and safe. Now that we're putting so much information and trust into social media sites and clouds, we should be aware that even the safest areas can be infiltrated, so why not these clouds and media sites with personal/sensitive information. He's saying if LulzSec can get the CIA, then they can get Facebook, or anyone else for that matter. NOTHING IS SAFE. Capisce?[/citation]

ummm...no.. im just not dumb like most people commenting ont his. all the guy is doing is trolling on the facebook and twitter users while telling everyone to be super paranoid so according to him no one should shopping, financial, or any inportent stuff on the Internet anymore. did you think sony was safe with info before they got hacked YES did you think nintendo and sega were safe too YES. if you say otherwise you are lying threw your teeth. so basically the comment is nothing more thsan trolling on social media websites if your good at reading between the lines you would have figured that out

dence LMAO what are you like 4 years old. if so congrats on the your first computer

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]whysobluepandabear[/nom]Wait, I can spell and use "You're" correctly (you clearly cannot), but I'm 4 years old? OH BOY, I'M A PRODIGY![/citation]

He is right you are a fucking ignorant dumb ass. Just the ''they took down the CIA'' which in reality is: They DDoSed a front facing web server.

G

[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Strictly speaking Hitler wasn't a terrorist, but we get your point[/citation]

If you look up the definition of terrorism, Hitler fits in perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.