LulzSec Hacker Pleads Guilty to Sony Pictures Breach

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Maybe a few years in federal prison will make this old fella think twice about commiting comments "for the lulz."

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
You may be right, ahnilated, which is a damn shame. An ability to guess (or even crack) passwords, execute DDoS attacks, and/or copy some data around on the Internet, are hardly advanced skills meriting a big fat paycheck. Guilty of willful wrongdoing, this guy should be put down and forgotten. Put his head in a bucket to catch the mess and pull the trigger; GAME OVER.

stratplaya

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2007
This guys justifies his actions by saying the security was too easy to get through? What does that matter? Besides, the more security someone adds it just entices hackers even more to break it.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
[citation][nom]ahnilated[/nom]You realize this guy will probably have a high priced security job when he is done with prison?[/citation]

You realize this guy will probably have a high priced ass in the prison?

G

Why can't these hackers attack someone who deserves it, like Samsung / Google, for shamelessly stealing from AAPL?

killerchickens

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]ahnilated[/nom]You realize this guy will probably have a high priced security job when he is done with prison?[/citation]

Yea so he can afford to pay for all his hemorrhoid cream.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Even when the hacking is bad i'm happy it happens now BEFORE _everything_ is in the cloud, people can still choose wherever they trust the companies with their data or not and the last flurry of hacks is quite telling for me about the security!

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
"Why do you put such faith in a company that allows itself to become open to these simple attacks?"

Following this logic I can therefore run around shooting people. Hey, if they are not wearing body armor they allowed themselves to become willing targets !

15 years should not be the MAXIMUM, but the MINIMUM.
$600,000 in Damages... Try robbing 'only' $60.000 from a Bank and see what happens !

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]Every time I see that LulzSec logo I think of the Planters Peanut guy, lol.[/citation]

Yep. Getting hungry for a PBwoJ sandwich :)

xaephod

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
Sony should pay them for exposing their weakness. The private sector should have all these guys on salary trying to hack all their systems. All this jail time and damages is just because Sony is butthurt about getting hacked. The Government should have these guys on their payroll doing cyberattacks against terrorist entities and enemy governments.

Time to wake up to reality.

zareff

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Lol at the comments here. Dude ain't no kid and many of Sony's competitors will be happy to have him onboard.

15 years minimum? Get real, your leaders are stealing millions daily and end up serving nothing, or maybe a few months..

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]15 years should not be the MAXIMUM, but the MINIMUM.$600,000 in Damages.[/citation]Why? It's not like this guy did anything serious like murder or sharing intellectual property owned by the RIAA/MPAA.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]"Why do you put such faith in a company that allows itself to become open to these simple attacks?"Following this logic I can therefore run around shooting people. Hey, if they are not wearing body armor they allowed themselves to become willing targets !15 years should not be the MAXIMUM, but the MINIMUM.$600,000 in Damages... Try robbing 'only' $60.000 from a Bank and see what happens ![/citation]
Even though they're guilty of felony, Sony also has some blame. I would expect a small company not fixing their web site for SQL injections because it costs them money they can't afford. Now were talking about Sony, a large corporation that has billing and credit card information of millions of people. Having that information on a server that is susceptible to such a basic attack should be criminal. Even a 12 year old can do a SQL injection because there are tools out there that do all the work, all they have to do is basically push a button.

tramit

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
[citation][nom]xaephod[/nom]Sony should pay them for exposing their weakness. The private sector should have all these guys on salary trying to hack all their systems. All this jail time and damages is just because Sony is butthurt about getting hacked. The Government should have these guys on their payroll doing cyberattacks against terrorist entities and enemy governments.Time to wake up to reality.[/citation]

I think notifying Sony of the hack would have been more appropriate then releasing the personal information of innocent people online. Showing the weakness is fine, but they took it a step too far. Sony could have done something if presented with the hack rathering then just throwing the hacked information on the web for the not so honest people to access.

Status
Not open for further replies.