otepvashj

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
So, I am currently building a PC to play World of Warcraft with and I need a set of speakers to go with it. I was working with a budget in the entire build, but one place I cannot sacrifice on is sound. I have always worked with onboard sound but I went ahead and bought a X-Fi Fatal1ty Champion sound card the other day. I am currently deployed and won't be back until late Jan 08.

Here's where I ask for help. I will be gaming on this computer (WoW excusively, some others possibly). My budget is certainly above average *I* would say. I don't have a problem spending $750 on a stereo at all. I can't make up my mind though. I absolutely love the look of M-Audio's equipment. I was looking at the BX10 paired with AV40's for my sound. I've never had surround sound (5.1) and I have had very very mediocre 2.1 logitech's. Do you think I would benefit more having a nice 5.1 setup rather than a 2.1 for the game I am playing? It will be in a relatively small dorm room (about 12x15) playing on a 22'' Samsung 2232BW. If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated. I will continue my search for audio equipment ;)

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I'd rather enjoy a good sound quality when playing my music than listening to 5.1 while playing games. even though my system have the capability to do that. I'd rather put my headphone on for that when I try to blow up my enemy with a nuke. :)

My question is what bothers you most, your neighbor is playing loud with their games or loud with their music. and what you think bother them most?

Having 5.1 is nice if you have a good quality system that support it. Most Games has that cover. Some CD's are nicely recorded to get 5.1 by matrixing. However a better stereo equipment may sound better then a 5.1

With the X-Fi and M-Audio will sound better than any logitech speaker produce. It's up to you if you want something good for playing games or playing your music. unfortunately they're not in the same league.

TomJoad

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=35_40_402_275&products_id=1696

This is a little off base from what you are wanting, but while these kits are more money they would offer unparalleled value for a desktop speaker. They are coaxial so would be perfect for desktop. I am going to buy a pair myself. I will use a USB DAC and a Trends Audio Amp. Again, I know it is more money but I just wanted to throw this out there. I guess they would be more suited to listening to music than gaming.