Mac oSX and VMware Workstation, dual boot

Abhishek1025

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
how do i install a mac osx Lion on a vm ware workstation? i hav both .dmg file as well as .iso file compatible for workstation.. or else tell me whether i can install mac os x as a dual boot alongwith windows 8.1....

Abhishek1025

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011

I do not own a mac.. i hav a windows pc.. can i dual boot it or do i hav to use vmware... also, show me the steps if u can on the installation process under vmware

Pinhedd

Distinguished

You must download a third party, unsupported patch for VMWare Workstation to unlock the OSX configuration. You can find this floating around on the web.

With that in mind though, OSX virtualizes like absolute trash. There's no virtual driver support for the Quartz graphics layer which means that applications that rely on it (which is damn near all of them) simply won't work.

Ijack

Distinguished
I've never really thought about the answer to that question. All I know is that it runs just like any other copy of OS X.

But this is a bit irrelevant. The OP has already stated that he doesn't have a Mac. I'm just curious to know how he managed to purchase a copy of OS X. It can only be purchased via the Apple Store, which means that you need a Mac to buy it.

@OP - if you have purchased a copy from Apple then contact them for support with it.

Abhishek1025

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011

I have a downloaded .dmg file of the osX.. Thats what i meant i didnt purchase it.