MacBook 13 (early 2011) water damage

TonyH88

Estimable
Sep 29, 2015
A few weeks ago I was sitting at the table with my MacBook (on) and a full glass of water (had it about 20cm/8inch from my MB). I threw a ball for my dog, but he head butted the ball and jumped after it landing with his paws against the glass. Long story short, all the water fell over the keyboard. I immediately turned it off, put it upside down on a towel, and proceeded taking every part out. Only the battery (miracously) had water on it. That thing also died on me two weeks ago, guess there was real damage there.

The rest seems to be functioning fine, albeit a bit slower (but that could be an impression). I was planning on buying 16gb of memory (expanding from four), but I'm not so sure if its worth spending money on this thing. I already have a (generic) ssd in it.

What do you guys think?

ps: I have bought this thing from someone else a few months ago. There is no warranty or whatever on it.

Solution
With no battery it might be throttling, I saw that with a 15" before. With a new battery it might speed up.
Most of the time with liquid spills the keyboard will fail eventually as there is corrosion that inevitably occurs even though you dry it the best you can.
When you took it apart, did you actually remove the logic board and dry that? That is the one part that costs the most to replace. If you did not damage the logic board then even if the keyboard fails, it is a cheap fix if you are competent at dismantling computers.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
With no battery it might be throttling, I saw that with a 15" before. With a new battery it might speed up.
Most of the time with liquid spills the keyboard will fail eventually as there is corrosion that inevitably occurs even though you dry it the best you can.
When you took it apart, did you actually remove the logic board and dry that? That is the one part that costs the most to replace. If you did not damage the logic board then even if the keyboard fails, it is a cheap fix if you are competent at dismantling computers.

Solution

verndewd

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
the step you didnt take was the most critical, i had the same thing happen to my college issued mac book pro, only it was cats, same reaction only i saturated it with despirited/ denatured alcohol to displace the water, and then placed it in my car for a few hours, it was early summer. the alcohol dries up fast when its hot. I lost my battery though, it eventually bulged got a new battery recently and it seems fine.