Macbook Air $1000 vs Inspiron 14 7000

Forever Oleg

Estimable
Jul 15, 2015
I am really tight on budget. I need a decent laptop for college that can play light games, is comfortable, reliable, and fast.

I will end up loaded with homework and projects for sure, so a good screen is a must.

Because of my planned degree, I won't have time to spare, so productivity and fast loading times are a priority (SSD). Perfection is in the details. Which laptop will provide me with it?

If anyone has other suggestions, I can only buy directly from either Dell or Apple website.

14 7000: http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/productdetails/inspiron-14-7460-laptop/cai147w10p7b2559
15 7000 2 in 1: http://www.dell.com/en-us/member/shop/productdetails/inspiron-15-7579-2-in-1-laptop/dncwsbb0013h
Gaming: http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/inspiron-15-7567-laptop/fncwf514s?selectionState=eyJGUHJpY2UiOjk0OS45OSwiT0MiOiJmbmN3ZjUxNHMiLCJRdHkiOjEsIk1vZHMiOlt7IklkIjo3NjAsIk9wdHMiOlt7IklkIjoiRkhETlQiLCJQcmljZSI6NTAuMH1dfSx7IklkIjo1NzIsIk9wdHMiOlt7IklkIjoiRkcwMDI4In1dfV19
Macbook: https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-air

Solution

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

Get the 7000 gaming. It's the most powerfull of the bunch and will last you the longest + allows some serious work to be done on it.

Forever Oleg

Estimable
Jul 15, 2015

I just fear it's gonna be way too bulky and hot. Gaming isn't the top priority; comfort and reliability are.

JalYt_Justin

Prominent
Jun 12, 2017
I don't even need to look at the links to tell you not to buy a Macbook Air. Unless you're some kind of Apple fanboy, I dissuade anyone from buying computers from Apple. Their OS is clunky, and generally the specs aren't very cost efficient, so you're getting less for your $1000.

I suggest doing a little more research on laptops, since I'm certain that there are many better options than both of those laptops for your money.

Of those options, the 7000 is the best, since it'll be the most powerful and reliable.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
tight budget and apple products are never 2 things mentioned in the same sentence. to avoid headaches trying to get an apple computer to work on a school/college network stick with more cost effective PC options. i have the dell inspiron 15 5000 series with a 250GB SSD drive a as a work laptop and its pretty good

Forever Oleg

Estimable
Jul 15, 2015

The laptop is part of an award, so I can only buy from Apple or Dell. I've been looking over their stuff and the models I linked above seem the best for my needs (decently sized SSD, an i5, 14"/15" IPS display.

Any recommendations on those?

Forever Oleg

Estimable
Jul 15, 2015

I'm pretty sure I found one similar to yours (http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/productdetails/inspiron-15-5566-laptop/cai155w10p7b013)

It's a plastic chassis, 768p, and no IPS - not really that similar to what I'm looking at. The 7000 series is way different.

captaincharisma

Distinguished

thats true. if you don't care about having the laptop transform into a big tablet then the 14 7000 would be best

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

The keyboard and trackpad are better on it. It will also allow for future upgrades and will long outlast it's purpose.

Hello, Oleg:

Let me just fan the embers by offering this opinion: Get the MacBook!

If it's an award, i.e. you don't have to put up any money, then it's a free MacBook! How often is that going to happen to you?

But seriously, the MacBook is likely to serve you perfectly well for all your stated needs. This is not a criticism of Dell, they generally enjoy a good reputation for their high-end panels and the build quality of their Precision line. The Inspirons are more of a mixed bag.

The models on your list feature specs that blow the Mac out of the water. But let's be realistic: You don't absolutely need the extra storage or the slightly better IGP - nice to have, of course, but once again: If you can choose between a free MacBook Air that will do the job, or a Dell with impressive specs that you don't really need - then get the MacBook.

Lastly, the MacBook weighs 2.96lbs and battery life is listed at 12 hours. Worth considering.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

PS: I'm not paid by Apple or attempting to troll anyone into a cyber-rage. Really.

Forever Oleg

Estimable
Jul 15, 2015

That's what all my family is thinking, and that's what I am leaning towards.

I can remark that when I go on Apple's website, I feel like I'm going to be robbed. Their starter MacBook Air is $1000 while the exact same laptop with 256GB SSD (not base 128GB) is freaking $200 more?

Since I will have a few games + school projects on the laptop, I wanted to be safe with storage. That's probably the only deterrent I have with them.

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

Also don't forget something important called windows. Noe everything will run on OSX and then you'll have to dual boot or vm windows. Also apple loves overcharging. Don't forget that that 12 hours of battery means that you are almost doing nothing on it.

Sedivy

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016
To provide a counterpoint to all this, my last macbook lasted me 8 years, and could have gone on more if I hadn't done something stupid to damage it myself. With exception of a battery which I've had to change once, I've never had a laptop that lasted longer and broke down less, and still functioned great for everything I needed work wise. Granted this was when they weren't soldering all their components so you could swap things out, but I hear they're moving back in that direction with this latest batch of macbooks.
Productivity wise, it's true not everything works on a mac but really for university/college stuff it'll have everything you need or at least mac equivalents to it. Gaming will be limited, it has to be said. Gaming has gotten a bit more support on macs in recent years but it's light years away from windows still so keep that in mind. Finally, depending on how the latest designs are, I've found power adapters to be by far the biggest annoyance on mac laptops. Proprietary design so no competition, very poor, frays frequently and I've lost count how many times I've had to buy replacements over the years at exorbitant prices that never fall.
Another positive thing on a mac is that you get support for older models for a very long time (in the 8th year it was finally unable to install latest OS version), and subsequent macOS upgrades should all work, and won't leave you on some legacy OS version that's not supported and not updated.

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

With the latest ones it's pretty much battery dead = buy a new one as replacing is either impossible or extremely hard and no guaranteed results. I also own laptops from toshiba, medion, acer, costum built,... all of them except the latest 2 are past the 5 year mark and still working the oldest one is almost 20 years old and still functioning. Get a laptop that has some good reviews and you are set.

Sedivy

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016
Wow, still? I thought they were finally fixing that in the 2017 model but I guess that was wishful thinking. My old model had a super easy to remove battery, you needed no screwdrivers or complicated procedures, just a latch and lift. This was one of those things that was absolutely not broken and needed no fixing imho.

captaincharisma

Distinguished

nope, apple is making them harder to repair and now with every generation they keep going with obscure ports like with the last macbooks that had only one USB-C port. in the end if you get a macbook be prepared to buy adapters to get a decent experience in and out of the classroom

Hello, Oleg and others:

I'm not arguing the traditional invective against Apple products - I'm simply stressing the point that it's friggin' FREE. Yes, they overcharge. Yes, their products are ludicrously under-powered. Yes, they are, stereotypically, aimed at people who have never seen the inside of a computer and don't care one bit.

And, Yes, 12 hours of battery life is obviously a 'perfect world' scenario - probably more like 8 hours IRL. But Dells are not exactly at the forefront of battery life, either (if you can get 5 hours of useful up-time on a half-decent Inspiron, consider yourself very lucky, or very inactive).

I'd still say look at this scenario as an opportunity: My guess is you would never pay for a MacBook with your own money - and now you don't have to!

If you want extra storage, $200 will buy you a 500GB external SSD from this Apple web site:
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HKQR2ZM/A/g-technology-500gb-g-drive-slim-ssd-usb-c-portable-drive?fnode=5f

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

captaincharisma

Distinguished

just because its free doesn't mean you will get a good experience out of it. someone could give you an electric car for free but what is the point if there are no charging stations anywhere in your town?

I never equated Free with 'a good experience' - that's clearly beyond anyone's control. Rather, I suggested that this could be an opportunity to try out a product you would never buy otherwise. I shall maintain that the MacBook will serve OP's needs and as such is hardly comparable to the electric car analogy.

The underlying premise is that OP is a PC-person who either has a PC already or is considering buying one. The MacBook is therefore always going to be a risk-free bonus, in my opinion: Either it works for him as expected, which is great. Or it won't, in which case OP will buy the PC he was going to get anyway.