butterfly21

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013
Hello.

So I was cleaning my laptop and I was stupid enough to spray a cleansing liquid (that kills bacteria, that's why I used it) over the screen and a bit over the keyboard. The laptop was on because I usually don't turn it off. I wiped it and left it. After a few hours I wanted to use it and noticed that the screen is all black but it turned out that the laptop was actually on, I thought it was off. I could barely see anything on the screen, there were some red and green lines and everything I could see looked distorted. I turned the laptop upside down into a V position and the liquid started running from the bottom of the screen. I kept the laptop in this position whole night but nothing changed. What do you think has to be done to repair it? Is a new screen needed?

EDIT: I turned on the laptop and when I look at the screen with my phone flashlight parts of the screen look alright and others are distorted (program windows are cut, the screen is divided and things are displayed as if it was a mirror reflection). Some parts of the screen have colorful lines. The trackpad and keyboard work. It's possible to adjust the keyboard backlight but the screen doesn't react to adjusting the brightness.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Solution

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

Try and plug it into a separate display first. If it does nothing then you killed your macbook.
For in the future use 90% or higher isopropyl alcohol fro cleaning AND TURN OFF your device.

butterfly21

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013

It's not possible for me to check my Macbook using another display at the moment but I turned on the laptop and when I look at the screen with my phone flashlight parts of the screen look alright and others are distorted (program windows are cut, the screen is divided and things are displayed as if it was a mirror reflection). Some parts of the screen have colorful lines. The trackpad and keyboard work. It's possible to adjust the keyboard backlight but the screen doesn't react to adjusting the brightness.

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

Until you can verify your macbook is still working correctly by connecting it to another screen I would not order any replacement parts. Also depending on the age of the device repairs might simply be impossible due to lack of parts, apple locking you with product id's (this can cause replacement parts to simply not work togheter), simply not repairable,...

Solution