Solved! Macbook Air V/s Dell: Which Option To Choose?

Sep 29, 2020
Hello everyone,

I'm a working professional who is operating in the field of Accounting and Finance. Alongside this, I'm a student who is enrolled in a Masters's program.

Since the start of the Pandemic, my office and university is operating remotely, and I'm facing a speed-related problem while using zoom or any other software.

So I've decided to change my laptop (Lenovo core i5) with a good performing laptop for office and study-related activities.

I've two options available in my budget and with a slight difference in price but I don't know which option is the best? I'm looking for some expert advise.

1 - MacBook Air - Specs
(13-inch - 2017)
Processor 1.8 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics 6000

2 - Dell - Specs
(14 FHD IPS Infinity Edge)
Intel Core i5 - Generation 10th
512 GB NVIDIA
Windows 10 64-BIT

TIA. :)

Solution
Are you sure you need a new machine? If your machine uses a mechanical hard drive, I would update it to a solid-state drive (<$100). If you are only running 4GB of RAM, upgrading to 8GB will help if you run multiple applications at the same time. Lastly, I've often noticed dramatic improvements by reinstalling Windows. Do a "clean" install which will erase all your user files and programs but a new laptop would require to reinstall all that stuff anyway. Your statement that you are having speed related problems with Zoom says to me there are issues with your existing machine that are probably fixable. Zoom is not a terribly CPU intensive program. It all depends on your situation with money vs your time. I would start with the reinstall...
Are you sure you need a new machine? If your machine uses a mechanical hard drive, I would update it to a solid-state drive (<$100). If you are only running 4GB of RAM, upgrading to 8GB will help if you run multiple applications at the same time. Lastly, I've often noticed dramatic improvements by reinstalling Windows. Do a "clean" install which will erase all your user files and programs but a new laptop would require to reinstall all that stuff anyway. Your statement that you are having speed related problems with Zoom says to me there are issues with your existing machine that are probably fixable. Zoom is not a terribly CPU intensive program. It all depends on your situation with money vs your time. I would start with the reinstall of Windows and see how much you gain.

Solution

xfisthebest

Estimable
Dec 27, 2018
Are you sure you need a new machine? If your machine uses a mechanical hard drive, I would update it to a solid-state drive (<$100). If you are only running 4GB of RAM, upgrading to 8GB will help if you run multiple applications at the same time. Lastly, I've often noticed dramatic improvements by reinstalling Windows. Do a "clean" install which will erase all your user files and programs but a new laptop would require to reinstall all that stuff anyway. Your statement that you are having speed related problems with Zoom says to me there are issues with your existing machine that are probably fixable. Zoom is not a terribly CPU intensive program. It all depends on your situation with money vs your time. I would start with the reinstall of Windows and see how much you gain.
agreed! but Dell ftw!

Sep 29, 2020

Yes, I understand that a solid-state drive (SSD) and an 8GB Ram will make an impact on the laptop's performance.

However, I'm thinking about a long term plan because I don't know which software in the coming semester other than Zoom I will have to use on my laptop.

Also, I just talked about the Zoom because during the Covid-19 it was one of the most common virtual software that I've used or have seen people using it for their virtual meetings.

And to avoid the element of uncertainty, I’m thinking of a long-term plan because I might be work-for-home (WFH) till March 2021.