Question Macbook Pro 15 Mid-2012 with new HD won't finish boot screen

wildcatstoll

Prominent
Jun 27, 2018
I got my husband a new hard drive at Best Buy and we can not get it to work.
His laptop is a Macbook Pro 15 mid-2012 with Mac OS 10.13.3.
The new hard drive is a WD BLUE 2.5" 1 TB that says it is compatible with MAC OS X Sierra, El Capitan or Yosemite. Model WDBMY0010BNC-NRSN

We have tried to reset the NVRAM/PRAM by
1) Turn your Mac off.
2) Turn on your Mac and when you hear the startup chime, immediately press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. (Note: You may need a wired keyboard for the reset).
3) Hold the keys until the Mac restarts and you hear the startup chime for a second time and then let go of the keys.

We tried to reset the SMC (with a removable battery) by
1) Shut down the Mac and disconnect the power adapter.
2) Remove the battery.
3) Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
4) Reconnect the battery and power adapter and press the power button to turn on the Mac.

How to make your Mac boot:
Press and hold the R Shift key, the L Option key(Alt), and the L Control key for 7 seconds.
While keeping these keys pressed, press the Power button and hold that down for another 7 seconds.
Release all the keys, wait a few seconds, then restart.

Whatever else we may have tried, neither of us can remember. We're both at whit's end and frustrated. BTW, I have a Windows computer.

Last edited:

wildcatstoll

Prominent
Jun 27, 2018
Hey, COLGeek, thanks for your answer.
I went to the link you provided and it only took me to
Welcome to Apple Support where I had to search my issue. Then, I was only given posts that listed what came in the box, Technical Specifications or The Quick Start Guide.
Then I got the bright idea of putting HT204904 into the search bar. (haha)
I will have to see if my husband did this yet or not tomorrow and get back to you,