macbook pro battery gets hot when viewing "multimedia"

me88

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
when i am watching videos or looking at pictures on my macbook pro the battery gets hot, and mostly when watching videos. i wonder if its because of adobe flash?

Solution
MacBooks are really hard to clean without removing the bottom cover. It is easy to do though, so I recommend you remove the bottom cover, and even remove the fan, and clean with compressed air. This will help with heat. As the other poster said, it is likely not your battery but your GPU and CPU generating the heat and most MacBooks I have opened have a nice layer of dust matted in the fan which will definitely contribute to heat.

And as far as cycle count, it really comes down to how it is performing. Apple says a battery should last at least 1000 cycles but if the battery is holding charge and shows as normal condition then it is nothing to worry about.

Grantmacintosh1

Estimable
Nov 24, 2015
Are you sure it is the battery? The CPU and GPU on MacBooks get hot when a load is placed on them (such as viewing a video) much like any other laptop, the metal case of the laptop, which acts as a heatsink, leads to the heat being more noticeable. If it is indeed the battery, then could you go into "About this Mac" then "System Report" then "Power" and tell me how many cycles the battery has had, as it may be on its way out.

me88

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

it says the condition is normal. what would be the cycle count for it to be considered on the way out? what is "GPU"?

Grantmacintosh1

Estimable
Nov 24, 2015

The GPU is the Graphics Processing Unit, to put it simply, it generates the images that are displayed on the screen. Apple state that the maximum charge cycles that a MacBook Pro battery can sustain is 1000.

me88

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

is it approximately 1000 cycles? can the battery last above that?

BadAsAl

Distinguished
MacBooks are really hard to clean without removing the bottom cover. It is easy to do though, so I recommend you remove the bottom cover, and even remove the fan, and clean with compressed air. This will help with heat. As the other poster said, it is likely not your battery but your GPU and CPU generating the heat and most MacBooks I have opened have a nice layer of dust matted in the fan which will definitely contribute to heat.

And as far as cycle count, it really comes down to how it is performing. Apple says a battery should last at least 1000 cycles but if the battery is holding charge and shows as normal condition then it is nothing to worry about.

Solution

Grantmacintosh1

Estimable
Nov 24, 2015

Yes, the battery can last longer than 1000 cycles, but it is not guaranteed to.

me88

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

will apple replace the battery even if there is no warrenty on the laptop? how long will it take for them to replace the battery?