macbook pro gets really hot

me88

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
my macbook pro gets really hot when i am watching flash videos and when i am using my macbook pro while its charging. what can i do to fix that?

Solution
me88 that is the only way to properly clean a MacBook. While you have the cover off, remove the fan(s) and clean those too, easy to do and you can be sure you get all the dust out. For guides go to www.ifixit.com if you want to see how easy it is.

Dunlop0078

Estimable
Herald
Feb 13, 2014
Water cool it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DyUitTVWlw

Lol dont do that, what macbook pro is it? They get hot, it does not have a fan so it uses the frame of the computer to dissipate heat so when the laptop starts getting hot you will likely notice. Charging the battery makes the battery hot, watching videos will put a load on the cpu and gpu if it has one so they will warm up as well. Get some software like HWmonitor (not sure if it works on mac) and see what the temps are, let me know what they are if you want to make sure they are safe.

MBPs have a fan. It's positioned to vent the hot air up across the front of the screen. The air intakes are usually thin slots along the sides. It's the Macbook w/ Retina screen (not to be confused with the discontinued Macbook, the Macbook Air, or Macbook Pro w/ Retina) which has no fan.

If this is an older MBP, you may just have dust built up on the fan and in the vanes of the heatsink. Turn the laptop off, take it outside, and try blasting some compressed air into the fan. If you see dust fly out, keep at it until no more dust comes out. Be careful not to spin the fan at too high an RPM with the air. Then turn the laptop on and see if that helped.

If it helped, but not as much as you were hoping, there may still be dust inside. Unfortunately, Apple doesn't put vent holes on the bottom of the case. You'll have to open it to gain access to the insides and blow away any dust that's accumulated.

If it's a newer MBP (anything that shipped with a SSD), those are designed to be pretty much non-user serviceable. You can try the compressed air trick, but you'll have to take it to an Apple store for a more thorough cleaning.

me88

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

i was thinking of opening the bottom and blowing the dust out. its an early 2011 macbook pro

BadAsAl

Distinguished
me88 that is the only way to properly clean a MacBook. While you have the cover off, remove the fan(s) and clean those too, easy to do and you can be sure you get all the dust out. For guides go to www.ifixit.com if you want to see how easy it is.

Solution