MacBook Pro late 2007 and memory upgrade

Okcin

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015
Hi,
I have a late 2007 MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 17" with 2Gb DDR2 PC-5300 (667MHz).

Can I upgrade (replace) memory with 2 sticks of 2Gb DDR2 PC-6400 (800MHz)?

Regards,
:)

Solution
Hi there,

Yes you can change the RAM with faster RAM. But each module will go as fast as the BUS allows it !
So the speed will not be affected, although you will have 2 modules working in DUAL CHANNEL, which is working a little faster and more efficient than 1 module !
(NOT all Motherboards support this feature. To be sure: check with your MOBO-details if faster RAM is supported. After all it is APPLE !!!!!)

I have also a MacBook from that age and it works with 2 modules of 2GB but maybe the same speed. It runs not too fast but it still works, I'm planning to put an SSD in it, a little gain in speed again.

Cheers, Louise.

Louise Porkolt

Estimable
Nov 25, 2014
Hi there,

Yes you can change the RAM with faster RAM. But each module will go as fast as the BUS allows it !
So the speed will not be affected, although you will have 2 modules working in DUAL CHANNEL, which is working a little faster and more efficient than 1 module !
(NOT all Motherboards support this feature. To be sure: check with your MOBO-details if faster RAM is supported. After all it is APPLE !!!!!)

I have also a MacBook from that age and it works with 2 modules of 2GB but maybe the same speed. It runs not too fast but it still works, I'm planning to put an SSD in it, a little gain in speed again.

Cheers, Louise.

Solution

Okcin

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015
Hi Louise,

Precisely, the system bus is running at 800MHz, so I think it's ok to put memory like PC-6400, it's also 800MHz.
I wanted to be sure of that :)

Then, I will put dual channel memory, like you said.

And I planned to put a SSD too ;)

:D