Macrium Reflect Free Edition (v6.3.1665) not resizing partitions.

hbenthow

Estimable
Dec 11, 2014
I'm trying to clone my 250 GB Windows hard drive to a 1TB hard drive, using Macrium Reflect Free Edition (v6.3.1665). However, it is not allowing me to resize the Windows partition to fit the larger drive. It clearly shows 698.63 GB of unallocated space, but "Cloned Partition Properties" lists the "Maximum Size" of each partition as being the same as its "Original Size", and won't let me resize the partition I wish to resize (the main Windows partition), or any of the partitions for that matter, to fill the extra free space.

Is this a glitch, or just a limitation of the free version?

Solution
I also just ran into this issue moments ago, but figured it out. It's sort of convoluted...
If you have all the possible partitions selected with check boxes in the "source" drive and simply choose "copy selected partitions" it will just move them down to the destination drive as they are. If (as previously stated) the partition you want to increase in size is NOT the last one in the lineup you won't be able to increase its size. So what to do?
Instead of of copying all of them from source to destination initially, only select the partitions with check boxes starting from left to right up to the one you want to ultimately resize before selecting "copy selected partitions". Only the selected few will be copied. Now, you can click...

CONVERSION

Commendable
Feb 9, 2016
I have used the free version a short while ago and in drive manager or disk management or something like that in Windows you can click on the volume and click expand volume, that's what I did at least when I cloned my 500gb old drive to my new 1tb one. If that doesn't help, I can't help you.

hbenthow

Estimable
Dec 11, 2014
Well, I did that, and for the most part the Macrium clone works beautifully. So far, there are no signs of the problems that plagued me after EaseUS and Acronis clones - except for one: I still can't resize the partition to be larger within Disk Management. There is a "Shrink Volume" option available, but the "Extend Volume" option is greyed out.

Here's a photo demonstrating it:

Disk%20Management%20after%20Macrium%20clone_zpsj5djtpck.jpg

hbenthow

Estimable
Dec 11, 2014
I finally fixed the problem. I downloaded and installed MiniTool Partition Wizard Free, slid the recovery partition to the right, and expanded drive C to fill the unallocated space.

Here are the final results:

Final%20results_zps0u3rddsf.png

It appears that both in Macrium Reflect and in Windows Disk Manager, you can only expand a partition if it has unallocated space directly to its right. When cloning with Macrium, if you shift the partitions around accordingly while resizing (making sure to shift them into their correct order afterwards resizing), you should be able to resize partitions with ease. If not, you can use MiniTool Partition Wizard Free to easily resize partitions on the final cloned disc.

contrails

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013
Thanks for the Post, I faced the same exact issue although MiniTool free edition seems Not to offer this option anymore for free. But, EaseUS Partition Master free edition did it for me!

Aug 7, 2018
I also just ran into this issue moments ago, but figured it out. It's sort of convoluted...
If you have all the possible partitions selected with check boxes in the "source" drive and simply choose "copy selected partitions" it will just move them down to the destination drive as they are. If (as previously stated) the partition you want to increase in size is NOT the last one in the lineup you won't be able to increase its size. So what to do?
Instead of of copying all of them from source to destination initially, only select the partitions with check boxes starting from left to right up to the one you want to ultimately resize before selecting "copy selected partitions". Only the selected few will be copied. Now, you can click properties of the rightmost partition in the destination drive window and resize it. Just be sure to leave enough room so that the remaining partitions not yet copied down can fit.. Drag any remaining partitions not yet copied down in the order they were.
NOW, you should be good to go!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS