Major PC Audio Upgrade - HD600's w/ which amp & sound card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CK7

Estimable
Aug 16, 2014
I want to upgrade my PC audio in a big way. I use it for games (mostly action-adventure, shooter and RPG) as well as blu-ray movies & music (electronic, rock, hip-hop, orchestral).

I will be using headphones 90% of the time. I've been using Sennheier HD280 Pro's for over 10 years, and, while they're pretty great, they are literally falling to pieces now and I want to take it to the next level.

I'm thinking HD600's, but am unsure what sort of amp and sound card to get with them. I currently plug my headphones straight into the jack and use my ASROCK Z87 Extreme3 mobo for sound.

My budget is ~$750, but flexible. However, that $ does not go as far here in Korea as some other places. For example, the HD600's may be had for $350 on sale, but are otherwise $500+.

Another option is the 558's, which wouldn't require an amp, but I do want the leap from the 280's to be huge and last me another 10 years.

theLeggo

Estimable
Dec 26, 2014
The HD600 are great headphones, and are fairly neutral with some sparkle in the highs. It pairs really well with an OTL tube amp such as the little dot mk iii, which can be bought off of ebay for 150-200$. A good DAC/soundcard would be asus xonar essence, HRT music streamer, ODAC.

I'm not completely sure if you can get them but another option is the phillips fidelio X2. They do not require an amp, but would benefit from a DAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS