make a clone of the HDD I use now to a new larger HDD

Geekin85

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
I want to put in a larger hard drive. I run a Dell Latitude D830 with a 320 GB HDD and I want to put in a 500 GB HDD. I guess what I am really asking here is for advice on software / programs to use to make a clone of the HDD I use now to the new one so I can just take out the old and go strait to using the new one with out losing anything. If you can give me a list of and instructions on how to work them that would be great... Thank you to who ever helps me with this clone

cklaubur

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
Something like Acronis True Image should work for what you need. You can get a 30-day trial of that program, or the software included with some hard drives (Seagate's DiscWizard, for example) is a customized version of it.

Just out of curiosity, how are you hooking up both drives? Using an external USB adapter, or one of those module bay adapters that plug in in place of the DVD drive? The USB adapter may be a bit slow.

Casey

Geekin85

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014

I am using a self build external SATA kit by rocket fish since my laptop and eternal both use the 2.5 SATA HDD's

And just wandering is that your computers and specs there in the bottom right corner of your post?

cklaubur

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006

Yeah, those are my specs down there. Unfortunately, the formatting makes them a bit hard to read.

Casey