Make sound go though tv instead of receiver

Brian_151

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
how can I get my sound to go through the built in tv speaker instead of those that are hooked up to my receiver? I know that kind of defeats the purpose of a receiver, but I just wanted to use the receiver to switch inputs, plus it has a radio in it.

Solution
First, ensure that you have an HDMI output from your receiver connected to an HDMI input on your TV.
Next, go into the receiver settings and set the receiver to "pass through" audio, assuming it is even capable of doing that (not all receivers have the same functionality).

I'll be honest though, if you have a receiver with surround speakers you are likely better off (from an audio quality standpoint) just letting the receiver/speakers handle the audio, and passing through the video to the TV.
Modern TV speakers are complete garbage, even on top of the line 4K TV's.

If it's an issue of latency, you can usually set an audio delay on the receiver so that the TV (who's video processing introduces latency to video playback) is in sync...

Jennifer W

Estimable
Jul 24, 2014
First, ensure that you have an HDMI output from your receiver connected to an HDMI input on your TV.
Next, go into the receiver settings and set the receiver to "pass through" audio, assuming it is even capable of doing that (not all receivers have the same functionality).

I'll be honest though, if you have a receiver with surround speakers you are likely better off (from an audio quality standpoint) just letting the receiver/speakers handle the audio, and passing through the video to the TV.
Modern TV speakers are complete garbage, even on top of the line 4K TV's.

If it's an issue of latency, you can usually set an audio delay on the receiver so that the TV (who's video processing introduces latency to video playback) is in sync with the audio from the receiver.

Solution