Malware scrambles and inserts letters on Chrome. Google is unresponsive. Does Google care?

Apr 15, 2018
Malware attacks Chrome and scrambles web pages; Google apparently can’t be bothered.

HERE'S a GOOD ONE - CHROME TRANSFORMS ITSELF INTO SCRAMBLED EGGS with HASH BROWNS, AND GOOGLE DOESN'T SEEM TO CARE. (If my memory serves me well, eggs and potatoes are, well, importantly different? Well, at least here in Boston.)

I am frustrated. But, I am not looking for help on my computer. I am looking for help trying to get either Google or Norton to pay attention to an ongoing contamination in Google's Chrome that has spread, over a three month period, to three of my seven Machines. The contamination manifests itself by by scrambling text on every web page Chrome opens (including Norton's) changing certain letters and inserting extraneous letters in most words (some examples below). Unless you enjoy reading in code, it makes browser useless. It has moved from one of my seven computers to three of my seven. It has not spread beyond Chrome, at least yet.

Something happened when Windows 10 Pro did a seemingly significant update on 4-15-2018 (Sunday). When the machine, a beast Dell Alienware machine of the $5-6 k variety rebooted, the problem showed up on this machine - the third of three to fall ill. Immediately after the reboot Norton began reporting an attack every 45 to 180 seconds by JSCOINMINER DOWNLOAD 22. In the spirit of good citizenry, I have sent Google 4 messages about this issue - which I would have thought would be of interest to them. NO RESPONSE to any of them..

[Note: Norton seems a little confused about this malware. On one notification page they simultaneously say it is a medium threat that must be dealt with in an urgent tone. But three lines down they chirp happily that this "Software" is used by Many - thus earning it their green leaf. In another dialogue box, they say that I (not them) should get rid of it. Cool. So I will, I said to myself. But their first options was "exclude". Hmm. Is it "exclude from the firing squad", or exclude from the Windows 10 community and face the firing squad? I chose option 2, and won the guessathon.

For the record I am vigilant about trying to protect my network. While it hasn't spread beyond Chrome, I delete Chrome (my usual browser) when it strikes. I has reappeared on every machine from which I unloaded it.

Any ideas on how to move forward? I can't get anyone's attention at Google. Maybe I should shave my head, wear an orange robe and set myself on fire in front of Google's headquarters. Or maybe this is a joke by some of my friends who decided to slap together some malware that can penetrate two of the world's best protective ecosystems.

The following are part of the recipe for whipping up a batch of "Chrome's 'Home Style' Scrambled Eggs with a side of hashed browser." Not great eatin', but - hey - the chef apparently doesn't care.

r becomes w. w becomes l. w remains w. L also becomes w sometimes. w becomes r, sometimes. v becomes w. y is usually inserted before e's. is inserted before some a's. If a k appears, a w usually is inserted before it.

Solution
JSCOINMINER DOWNLOAD 22

If you actually have that condition, eradicate it.

1. Normal malware/virus scans.
If that doesn't work
2. Create a bootable malware/AV tool. Boot from that and try to eradicate
If that doesn't work
3. Time to recover from a backup you made before this happened, or a clean wipe and reinstall

USAFRet

Illustrious
JSCOINMINER DOWNLOAD 22

If you actually have that condition, eradicate it.

1. Normal malware/virus scans.
If that doesn't work
2. Create a bootable malware/AV tool. Boot from that and try to eradicate
If that doesn't work
3. Time to recover from a backup you made before this happened, or a clean wipe and reinstall

Solution
Google is not at fault that your PCs are full or malware, so there's nothing for Google to fix.
The fact that you're getting this on CHrome only does not put Google at fault.

Remember - getting a PC infected always started with the device behind the keyboard! Yes, that's you.