Malwarebytes Anti-Malware(free) makes internet browsing slow

freemindopenspirit

Estimable
Jan 11, 2015
I have used this anti virus software in the past on different rigs and had zero issues with it. I recently upgraded my motherboard and cpu. With this I had to reinstall windows 7. So I install malwarebytes. Immediately I can tell that my internet browsing is slower. I use Firefox and have Chrome just cause. Opening a website takes way longer to load and it is impossible to watch a youtube video. I have deleted malwarebytes and my computer was back to normal. I did some researching and found out that if you disable the malicious website protection in the settings that internet browsing will be normal, not slow. So I reinstalled malwarebytes. I then opened up youtube (took 15 seconds to load) and clicked on a random video. The video did not play and was stuck buffering. So I went to the settings and disabled the website protection. Soon after I did that, the youtube video was playing. I opening up a few more websites and there were no problems.

Has anyone had this problem too? and, Is there a way to leave the website protection on without having it slow down my browsing.

And lastly, I did do a virus scan before all of this and there was no virus/malware detected.

aldan

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2013
malwarebytes free is not a realtime scanner and so doesnt use any system resources unless you are running a scan.that having been said i use the paid version with realtime scanning and have never noticed any slowdowns.i would be looking somewhere else for the cause of your slowdowns.

Rayven2

Estimable
Jul 31, 2014
As already mentioned, Malwarebytes wouldn't of made a difference. You might of just encountered a temporary networking issue, I'm presuming you didn't receive any further lag?

prollie

Estimable
Feb 1, 2015
I'm eperiencing the same issue with MBAM Premium - and the lags go away if deactivating real-time website protection. We have 3 different computers (Win7, Win8 and Win8.1), all running MBAM Premium, various browsers. All eperience the same lag, all "recover" if disabling the real-time website protection. Two of these are laptops, and the scenario is the same no matter what network we are connected to (even internal 3G modem, so not even same network module or settings). Bandwith and network connection / stability has nothing to do with this issue.

Djerdai

Estimable
May 31, 2015

Thanks, I will try that.
To those who suggest that Malwarebytes has no affect, I bring up Chrome with a URL (that is only there to prevent Chrome closing automatically) and then, invariably, start two other sites, including Facebook. They both take a horrendous length of time to start, several minutes. However, if, meanwhile, I go into task manager and stop the mbam exe running, they then come up instantly.

Cyberfix

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
Yeah, I'm having problems with performance on Malwarebytes Premium on Windows 10..two separate PCs with different disk storage space, main antivirus, and RAM. The common denominators are Windows 10 and Malwarebytes Premium.

mdd1963

Distinguished
Saw a few of these sorts of issues/glitches when MBAM 3.0 first sprang forth, but at the time they were attributed to weak systems. If energetic and curious, you could try full reinstall of Windows, clean reinstall of MBAM, but, beyond that, MBAM's support team might need notified. (Call them out of Facebook, no company likes complaints on FB, and they always respond quickly there...) :)

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
As far as I am aware (And granted am I slightly biased) Malwarebytes never had any negative impact. It shouldn't interfere with your browsing. The paid version, that has active scanning and protection is nearly non-intrusive, the free version only scans on demand. Shouldn't affect the performance.

mdd1963

Distinguished
I'd say the new motherboard's chipset drivers are probably not installed correctly, most likely relying on some default MS drivers for the chipset, or even ethernet/wireless, etc....or even storage.

Look up drivers for the mainboard compatible with WIndows 7...

mjohnayres

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018
For the denyers on the forum I can confirm MB slows down four of my computers significantly. And on Jan 28th 2018, it brought two of them to a standstill. As it killed my task manager in the process, it took a while to find the culprit. Disabling the real time protection fixes the problem if you still have enough functionality to do that, which in one case I did not.