Man Arrested After Leaking Pics of New Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
This carries serious implications. If this holds, then any online posting of any imagery from any game could be illegal. Just when I thought the concept of copyright/IP couldn't get any worse...

Hey then I wonder if I could find any pictures of myself or anything I own and claim copyright infringement... hey Google, I didn't license your satellite photo of my house =P

This all reeks of fail.

nukem950

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
I wanna be the very best
Like no one ever was
To show them is my real test
To get them is my cause
I will travel across the land
Searching far and wide
Getting Pokemon to show everyone
The pictures that's inside
Pokemon!

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]nukem950[/nom]I wanna be the very bestLike no one ever wasTo show them is my real testTo get them is my causeI will travel across the landSearching far and wideGetting Pokemon to show everyoneThe pictures that's insidePokemon![/citation]

I didn't want to upvote, I just couldn't help it.

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
It seems to me that they should invoke a law stating that once something gets out like this, especially on media thats going to be published any way, its public domain at that point. Seriously, charging a guy for copyright BS because he took a picture of a comic book with his cell phone. Take this for example, lets say he had a photographic memory, and simply drew them free hand.. Going to start arresting people for drawing now?
Screw big companies and their copyrights and patents, all they do is stifle innovation, creativity and keep the small people small. Screw the institution that enforces and sets the rules in such a fashion to promote such greedy philosophies. Screw the people who believe in said institution, with such narrow minds and no concept of long term thinking sometimes called forethought. Screw the RIAA while I'm on the subject, and just for fun.. screw you too.

TheRockMonsi

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
[citation][nom]nukem950[/nom]I wanna be the very bestLike no one ever wasTo show them is my real testTo get them is my causeI will travel across the landSearching far and wideGetting Pokemon to show everyoneThe pictures that's insidePokemon![/citation]

The song inspires me every time I hear it. :)

znegval

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
I didn't know copyright infringement got you a jail sentence in Japan. Does it? Or is Nintendo just that influent to get the guy arrested?

erictaneda2

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
I think this is what we would call misappropriation of trade secrets. If someone took a picture of Apple products and specifications sheets before release of some product, and publicly released it, they would be in trouble under the trade secrets law. Companies have the legal right to designated certain internal information secret (even if intended for near future release), in order to bolster its revenues. This is closely related to the right of privacy. If trade secrets were not recognized and anyone can take information from anyone and publish it, then there would be far less incentive for companies to invest in developing innovative products (since anyone can come spy on them and get the benefits without making the same investment). It also has implications for privacy rights of individuals, one thinks this through consistently. Do you really want it to be legal for someone to poke tiny camera through your walls, take pictures of what goes on in your house, and publish it on the Internet?

finboss

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Police spotted the pictures while on cyber patrol

Fool.....
Doesn't he know that the cyber police can back trace it? The consequences will never be the same for this poor fellow.

xantek24

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
I went 10 full years of not hearing too much of pokemon....back in 1999, i had nose bleeds and had to go to therapy because of those stupid POKEMON KIDS!!!!! AAARRRRGGGHH!!!!!

keczapifrytki

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
Chuck Norris doesn't need to patrol the internet. The japanese internwebs give all the info available to Chuck before he gets mad and eats a pokemon.

andrewcutter

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
well the key thing here seems to be that this happened before the release not after.. i dont knwo much but this seems to be the key

Status
Not open for further replies.