Man Arrested for Airport 'Bomb Threat' Tweet

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
What you said is you would go along with the idea of:

Yes Lets Set the Police on him and see if he gets arrested and charged hahaha

99.9% of sane people would have been able to see what he meant. I still don't think the majority of this world is that Nuts! I hope :)

djackson_dba

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Pailin[/nom]You seriously think a personal tweet of:needed LOTS of wasted Police time to investigate???[/citation]
I think it is amazing that you are able to ascertain the posters mental state, intent and ability just from the information given before the officers checked it out.

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
That's really sad. 10 years ago the comment would have been considered harmless, bad taste at worst. Unfortunately for him, it's the present day, not a decade ago. While I understand his frustration leading to the comment, he should have been more conscientious of the wording he used relating to an airport.

That being said, it's ridiculous that a bad taste comment on twitter got this guy arrested, interrogated and banned for life from an airport.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
I think it is amazing that you are able to ascertain the posters mental state, intent and ability just from the information given before the officers checked it out.

What, you mean you can't???

djackson_dba

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Pailin[/nom]What, you mean you can't???[/citation]
The situation is one where guessing wrong will cost a few dollars. The cost of guessing wrong is in lives. It was stupid of this guy to type such a threat and acceptible for it to be reported to the police who then checked it. The police did check it which means that they couldn't read his mind either.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Now when the Father of the pants bomber (CEO or something of his countries main bank I think it was) reported his Own son for Al-Qaida sympathies / conections and nothing happens...

or this poor dude.

Which guy got arrested.

Now tell me which situation is mad here???

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
[citation][nom]djackson_dba[/nom]What is wrong with having this checked out? Would you feel the same if you had loved ones flying out of that airport? We have the benefit of hindsight where inforamation is available because someone checked out.[/citation]

See, this is what is wrong with the world today. I'm not a coward like you, and know that overreacting to each and every little thing lets the terrorists win. They WANT us looking over our shoulders and jumping at every little thing.

If terrorism didn't produce the desired results, they'd stop doing it. People like you just provide encouragement.

djackson_dba

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Pailin[/nom]Now when the Father of the pants bomber (CEO or something of his countries main bank I think it was) reported his Own son for Al-Qaida sympathies / conections and nothing happens...or this poor dude.Which guy got arrested.Now tell me which situation is mad here???[/citation]
Both warranted checking to see if there was an issue.
The incident with the pants bomber should have been investigated quickly as well.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
djackson_dba

Maybe what I am getting at with my "What, you mean you can't???" statement is the equivalent of:

King Rat Example of English Understatement.

Paul Chambers (arrested airport dude) is English in England. His comment should have been understood by all. It is a Clear part of the way we use English in our understanding of what he meant.

There is Very obviously no bomb threat here and is something that should have never been reported even.

djackson_dba

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Pailin[/nom]djackson_dba Maybe what I am getting at with my "What, you mean you can't???" statement is the equivalent of:King Rat Example of English Understatement.Paul Chambers (arrested airport dude) is English in England. His comment should have been understood by all. It is a Clear part of the way we use English in our understanding of what he meant.There is Very obviously no bomb threat here and is something that should have never been reported even.[/citation]
I see. Apparently my misunderstanding of English culture was also shared by the officers who saw fit to investigate the threat. Maybe they were Canadian? LOL!

darkstar107

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
Whoever is against this guy being interrogated is dumb. This guy is dumb for making a comment like that and making it available the public.

What if the guy actually was planning on blowing the place sky high and the authorities just took his comment as "oh, he's just upset about the weather, it's a joke." What IF they played it off as a joke and thousands of people died. If I was going to the airport or had family going to the airport, I would report it.

This is very easy to avoid...just use some common sense and don't say stuff like that...and you will stay out of jail.

o0RaidR0o

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Should this have been investigated absolutely. But it doesn't take a super computer to figure out this guy is average Joe citizen having a bad day. Should he be given a fine yes, should he spend anytime behind bars, no, should he be banned from the airport no, at least not for life, maybe the next 6 months as added measure.

Like most of you have said if he were a terrorist he would have just bombed the airport, not announce it.

The government is playing into Al Qaeda's and the Taliban's hands. They the terrorist's have won and we are enabling there effort with this kind of overkill behavior.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
I take the English copper's statement of:

'Do you understand why this is happening?' and saying, 'It is the world we live in'

As to mean:-- Sorry lad, but if we didn't follow through on this report we might catch a load of flack we just don't want to have to deal with.

Only have to look at the reactions in this thread to see why they would investigate a "lead" they clearly can see means nothing.

djackson_dba

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Pailin[/nom]I take the English copper's statement of:As to mean:-- Sorry lad, but if we didn't follow through on this report we might catch a load of flack we just don't want to have to deal with.Only have to look at the reactions in this thread to see why they would investigate a "lead" they clearly can see means nothing.[/citation]
This would do more to support my argument than yours. If there were clearly no reason to investigate there would clearly be no public pressure (on your side of the pond) to investigate and thus no reason for the police to feel the need to investigate.

G

He was obviously referring to giving the the airport a blow job.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
The problem isn't terrorism, it isn't overreacting by police, it's a failure of understanding on both parties.

The police were obviously out of the loop when it comes to tech and trends. To understand he was just trying to let his friends know he was frustrated.

It was also a failure on his part to realize that he was letting anyone and everyone paying attention see what he was typing. There is no denying what was typed. You will be responsible for what you put out on the internet. Learn from this guys mistake and think before you post.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
I was just changing my mind about you, but you really stupid aren't you!!!

Jesus man, sort your head out!

You just stated that it is a good thing to waste Police time to help build Public paranoia when they understand there is no real reason to investigate LOL

This is exactly what is wrong with this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.