Man Arrested for Airport 'Bomb Threat' Tweet

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
Don't charge him, just castrate him. The real crime here is excessive stupidity and inability to think before acting. The proper punishment would be to take away his ability to reproduce.

We don't want any little idiots running around 9 months from now, so castrate him asap.

croc

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2005
Several years ago, I was exiting the US through LAX back to Aus. Made it to the gate, and was patiently waiting for the boarding... A lady was traveling to Australia for the first time, and asked how the weather would be for her trip. I said that I had looked at the BoM site that AM, and the weather would be fine for at least the following week, albeit a bit chilly...

Next thing I know, a security guard is frog-marching out of the gate area to a 'secure area' where I am locked in a room for an hour waiting for whatever came next. Finally, someone came in and said 'we take bomb threats seriously'. I tried to explain that the Australian Bureau of Meteorology was usually known by its acronym, 'bom', (In fact its URL is bom.gov.au.) and that I was telling a lady what the weather would be like when we got there... Shortening a long story, I didn't make the flight, got no apologies, never saw my carry-on again, and never got any explanation of who had it, or how to collect it. Plus, I was out of pocket for a hotel room for the night, and had to purchase a new ticket for the flight back. Fortunately, I could get a seat on a flight the next day, unfortunately it was only available in first class...

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
croc...."I said that I had looked at the BoM site that AM, and the weather would be fine for at least the following week, albeit a bit chilly..."

to my American ears that is either the beginning of a joke or yeah, some sort of discussion regarding the weather at the bomb site....I am sure your funny accent didn't help much :D

Sorry, I don't mean to make light of what was surely a trying ordeal for you, good story though.

croc

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2005
[citation][nom]amdchuck[/nom]croc...."I said that I had looked at the BoM site that AM, and the weather would be fine for at least the following week, albeit a bit chilly..."to my American ears that is either the beginning of a joke or yeah, some sort of discussion regarding the weather at the bomb site....I am sure your funny accent didn't help much Sorry, I don't mean to make light of what was surely a trying ordeal for you, good story though.[/citation]

Moral of the story? I was flying on a US passport at the time (dual citizen) and ended up losing quite a few bickies worth of dosh. I have rellies in the US, but would now rather fly them here to AUS than EVER go through that kind of ordeal again. The US is the master of fear mongering, and has now turned the entire 'free' world into a quivering mass of sheeple that are left wondering when the next rock will fall down on their heads. Paranoia can NEVER be fun. Paranoia is the path to fascism, and the abrogation of all freedoms.

G

u ban the dude for life because once a false positive has been registered it's screws up with security

for instance a real terrorist can make a false claim about blowing up the airport (maybe to recon the security response) get caught and after checks at his place appear clean only to come back with real intent on blowing up the airport, now you can't keep hounding this dude every time he turns up at the airport, cause that probable cause for harassment, but that one time that you dont keep an eye on him could well be the time he blows up the airport, the effort and problems are far too many, it's just easier to ban him for life

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]bayouboy[/nom]"I am so mad at my local airport for delaying my flight! I want to take a 747 full of cute little bunnies and blow it up!"Anyone who thinks that this is an actual bomb threat is stooooopid. The terrorist have won.[/citation]

First I don't think anyone who knows what Twitter is believes it was a threat.

Second killing bunnies isn't the same as killing a building full of innocent human beings.

Third if you're tasked with protecting people and all you know is someone threatened to blow up a building, your concern is everyone else, not the twat who post stupid tweets (and tweeters are twats anyway)

Fourth any freedom of speech does not give you the right to make any threat against any person or place. Your rights go so far as they do not inflict or threaten anothers rights, primarily in this case their lives. Joke or not, you don't have that right nor does he. This would fall under assault-
In criminal and tort law, an act, usually consisting of a threat or attempt to inflict bodily injury upon another person, coupled with the apparent present ability to succeed in carrying out the threat or the attempt if not prevented, that causes the person to have a reasonable fear or apprehension of immediate harmful or offensive contact. No intent to cause battery or the fear or apprehension is required so long as the victim is placed in reasonable apprehension or fear. No actual physical injury is needed to establish an assault, but if there is any physical contact, the act constitutes both an assault and a battery.

http://www.yourdictionary.com/law/assault

The guy was frustrated no doubt but he was also stupid. Learn from his mistake and don't threaten to kill people publicly.

rhys216

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
What a load of crap. An obvious JOKE get's a person arrested?
Lucky they didn't lock him up for 42 days under terrorism laws.
You really think it's a FREE Country/World

@JSC
Guess we should report you then!

duzcizgi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]djackson_dba[/nom]This would do more to support my argument than yours. If there were clearly no reason to investigate there would clearly be no public pressure (on your side of the pond) to investigate and thus no reason for the police to feel the need to investigate.[/citation]

Yep. They said it's a joke & didn't interrogate him. As you might know, these are open information. Especially such closed files with no importance.

Think what would happen if a journalist saw this file closed without anybody interrogated. The cops would have found themselves jobless as the journalists would use this as a great opportunity to increase their "rating"

Or during a routine internal investigation, how would this show up in the hands of the opposition in parliament? How a great opportunity to hit the ruling party. How irresponsible they are etc. etc.

Political Correctness is the hit of these days.

Be a politically correct person and you are the best. Take some initiative and try to show some intelligence, then you are automatically "against security/society/etc. etc." fill with whatever you want.

Instead of creating more regulations on the security, if the security personelle would have been chosen among 120+ IQ & good education on psychology, and paid accordingly of course, there won't be any incidents. Of course, this would have been more expensive than having min. wage security personelle who took a 6 week training and no other qualification with minimum wage plan. And all those public security committees which don't have any on field experience put such regulations that would cause people miss their flights even if they come to airport 3 hours earlier than the flight.

And of course, these regulations don't take into account the volume of people travelling in any particular airport, how the airport is laid out, what kind of bottlenecks it would cause & how to resolve the bottlenecks.

What happens next, well, for a couple of weeks people suffer, many fligts are delayed, many people miss flights and silently without any word from anyone, the "security measures" are relaxed to the point of "sanity", until the next attempt to blow a plane, though.

And funnier thing is, I don't recall a plane blown since except for the Russian domestic liner in the 21st century. Is this because of the security measures taken or, is it because the terrorists don't need to blow the airplanes to terrorize people anymore?

My 2 cents.

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
[citation][nom]croc[/nom]Moral of the story? I was flying on a US passport at the time (dual citizen) and ended up losing quite a few bickies worth of dosh. I have rellies in the US, but would now rather fly them here to AUS than EVER go through that kind of ordeal again. The US is the master of fear mongering, and has now turned the entire 'free' world into a quivering mass of sheeple that are left wondering when the next rock will fall down on their heads. Paranoia can NEVER be fun. Paranoia is the path to fascism, and the abrogation of all freedoms.[/citation]

damm, you are on to us.....

sagansrun

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
He was arrested for being stupid? I didnt know that being stupid was against the law. Its clear the guy was fed up with his situation and only venting his frustrations.

So if I say Im going to blow my local airport sky high I will get the same treatment? Total BS. Although, Im thinking of leaving an unmarked box with a kermit doll at my local airport just for fun.

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
[citation][nom]sagansrun[/nom]So if I say Im going to blow my local airport sky high I will get the same treatment? Total BS. Although, Im thinking of leaving an unmarked box with a kermit doll at my local airport just for fun.[/citation]

A. Yes, you will get the same treatment, what, are you dense or something?

B. Hopefully you are not serious about your little kermit gag, if you are, you deserve any and all repercussions such an act is bound to generate, including criminal charges.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Next step in totalitarian land... the person actually believes that if he is charged, the charges are correct.

"Well, I said it jokingly, but since I am being charged, it must be true for the greater good".

Status
Not open for further replies.