Man Arrested for Airport 'Bomb Threat' Tweet

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

actually... the IRA (like ETA) has a mediocre of decency of announcing their intended target usually not enough time to stop the threat but enough time to minimize innocent bloodshed

djackson_dba

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Pailin[/nom]I was just changing my mind about you, but you really stupid aren't you!!!Jesus man, sort your head out!You just stated that it is a good thing to waste Police time to help build Public paranoia when they understand there is no real reason to investigate LOLThis is exactly what is wrong with this situation.[/citation]
They actually investigated it so it must not be a cultural misunderstanding on my part. That was the reason you gave me for knowing that it was a joke. My contention is that you could not know for certain that it was a joke. Unlike you, I will not resort to name calling just because your reasoning makes no sense to me.

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
For those of you who think it was not a viable threat simply because he did not make his statement directly to the airport, I present to you George Sodini. Comments made on his online web site were unaddressed and many folks lost their lives.

Our willingness to check on these comments does not mean terrorists win. It means we understand not everyone is "normal."

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]djackson_dba[/nom]Unlike you, I will not resort to name calling just because your reasoning makes no sense to me.[/citation]
I'll give you a +1 just for that.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Good response!

Well, on that note - Sorry.

It is the situation I am truly aiming that at, I do not know you as a person and we may even be good friends in another light I'd like to hope.

But it is run away paranoia is that has lead to this, regardless of misunderstandings and:

'Do you understand why this is happening?' and saying, 'It is the world we live in'

sadly did mean that the copper would not have even considered the case not so long ago and is sad that the world has moved this way - as are we all I feel.

Here's to Peace All !

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Platypus

Not really a good example at all.

He made a host of many videos and comments all in the same line over an extended period of time. This cannot at all be compared to Paul.

Paul made a one off comment aimed at the weather situation. That is all.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]djackson_dba[/nom]So... bomb threats are legal where you live?[/citation]

AFAIK bomb threats are illegal everywhere, not sure why this guy got -3 for this comment.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Situation and context mean a lot.

If someone did a bomb threat on a comedy sketch show, no one would take it seriously right...?

But what if that guy actually had serious issues that surfaced in his show... then later he carried out that "sketch" for real...?

Then All comedy shows aiming making dark humour of bomb threats should be banned. Then why not ban ALL bad taste comedy and lock Anyone up for a distasteful comment...

The point of my many posts here today, is - where does it stop!?

One "bad" comedian "might just possibly" once do something crazy like that, but really how likely is it that all comedians that make a bad taste jokes will actually one day enact them?

These things bleed out to other areas - like the 15 year old girl who "might" be put on a sex offenders register for the rest of her life because she sent a picture of herself topless from when she was 12 and after all, the law is the law right!?

We need to take a stand for freedom and sanity!

kingraven

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Frankly guys.. Investigating is one thing, interrogating for 8 hours, jail, bail and ban are quite another.
Shall we start doing the same every time someone says "im gonna f'n kill you!" or "ur dead!" on the street? It IS a murder treat after all...
Hell, lets declare martial law! (does anyone need me to explain this is a joke?...)

As someone said here, terrorism is working when people start getting terrorised... (and as a quote from Dune, "Fear is the mind-killer.")

Stupid is the terrorist that warns people (if he actually wants to kill them...) statistically this is uncommon. As are plain crashes but we still fly, no?

Still, I say again: They want to investigate? Spend time and money? Fine! But pay attention to the motto "innocent until proven guilty". Investigating doesn't require interaction, interact (interrogate) only IF said investigation warrants it and certainly do not put in jail or ban unless there is STRONG evidence of motif, connections to terrorism or whatever.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]kingraven[/nom]Frankly guys.. Investigating is one thing, interrogating for 8 hours, jail, bail and ban are quite another. Shall we start doing the same every time someone says "im gonna f'n kill you!" or "ur dead!" on the street? It IS a murder treat after all...Hell, lets declare martial law! (does anyone need me to explain this is a joke?...)As someone said here, terrorism is working when people start getting terrorised... (and as a quote from Dune, "Fear is the mind-killer.")Stupid is the terrorist that warns people (if he actually wants to kill them...) statistically this is uncommon. As are plain crashes but we still fly, no?Still, I say again: They want to investigate? Spend time and money? Fine! But pay attention to the motto "innocent until proven guilty". Investigating doesn't require interaction, interact (interrogate) only IF said investigation warrants it and certainly do not put in jail or ban unless there is STRONG evidence of motif, connections to terrorism or whatever.[/citation]

"Innocent until proven guilty" does not work in the UK. Could be wrong on that, but pretty sure that is not the way it has ever worked over there. Other than that I get what you are saying. It was a little overboard on the authorties part. They still needed to investigate since I am sure the tip they got was a bomb threat and the context in which it was given to them I am sure was conveniently left out. So they really had to take it serious. Once it was determined it was a off hand comment, granted a bad one, they should have called it then and their. I mean I find it hard to believe it takes that long to figure something like this out vs. a real threat

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
"Innocent until proven guilty" is one of the things our legal system is proud of believe it or not.

But...

Anti Terrorism laws supersede this to help authorities deal with serious threats faster.

As with all laws, they can be misused, like the Government here did against Iceland in relation to that private Icelandic investment bank’s collapse where they used anti terrorism laws to seize Icelandic assets belonging to the country and its private people (through their private bank accounts too) – even though it was a private company that folded.

Then tried to force the Icelandic people to pay for the private banks losses in a deal where they would have been expected to pay £5b over 5 years + all the interest (I think it was) - laid on the doorstep of just 300k people >_<

Anti-terror laws used to justify bank freeze with Iceland

All very embarrassing for our Government who deeply regret their actions now I hope...

G

Bush made a "stupid" comment about how America's enemies will never stop thinking of ways to harm its people and then he went on to say "and neither will we". Obviously he made a mistake but why wasn't he arrested and charged with threatening to hurt Americans on a mass scale? Common sense. We don't arrest people for hoax 911/111/999/whatever calls but it seems only the US president can threaten innocent lives without consequence. I guess he must be above the law, usually we call such people dictators and tyrants. This guy made a stupid comment, he clearly was just frustrated and did not even follow through with it and neither was he planning on doing anything. So why has he been arrested? Where is the freedom? What happened to freedom of speech? I guess it's the freedom to say anything WE allow you to say! So it's actually "freedom" of speech. Today, they won't let you even say the word "bomb" on a plane without being thrown out of it, tomorrow if you even THINK of anything the powers that be don't like, they'll take you out back and fill you with bloody holes!

lvlouro

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
[citation][nom]Pailin[/nom]"What IDIOT member of the public would Really take that Twitter and report him. THAT person needs counselling in common sense!!!Jees people, get your heads screwed back on PLEASE[/citation]

+1 to that

like anon352969 said, terrorists have won...

dloiac

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
So do police really think a terrorist is going to broadcast their plans on twitter? It was obviously not a real threat...

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
The other day I was joking around with my daughter, and made a claw with my hand and said "Oooh, watch out! Imma gunna get you!", and chased her around to tickle her... I guess it was lucky I wasn't arrested from a report by some IDIOT who took what I said out of context. "It was horrible, he said he was going to GET HER!, I'm afraid." Do we even TRY to pay attention to the context which someone is making a statement now? Is common sense really this dead? Do you people actually believe you're more safe when the government starts harassing its citizens, and banning them from airports for joking comments directed at bad weather?

*sigh* Paranoid sheep make me sad. You're letting the terrorists win, you idiots.

bayouboy

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
"I am so mad at my local airport for delaying my flight! I want to take a 747 full of cute little bunnies and blow it up!"

Anyone who thinks that this is an actual bomb threat is stooooopid. The terrorist have won.

Status
Not open for further replies.