Man Blames Google Street View for Robbery

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

banthracis

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
[citation][nom]abbadon_34[/nom]It's one thing to take pictures of a vulnerable subject (house, valuables, teenage girls, etc.) and it's another to distribute those to a world inhabited by criminals and sickos. Google street view is awesome, but I'm sure they can afford to hire someone to filter the photos.Legal, you have an expectation of privacy in your home, and a split second open photograph of your garage while leaving home may not be conclusive but invites a 4th Amendment lawsuit to settle the issue. Maybe a Supreme Court decision will make everyone happy? Doubt it....[/citation]

This occurred in the UK. Oddly enough, other countries don't abide by the US constitution, laws or courts.

kevikom

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
So he should also blame the government like every other nutter because they gave him a street address so people can find him...He is the same fool to sue the local mini mart for not having adaquate security becuase his car was stolen in their parking lot when HE left the keys in it

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]eyemaster[/nom]The invitation was leaving your garage door opened, nimwit![/citation]

Assuming you knew Google were coming down the street, that might have some validity. :) The article states that it he was in front of the open door at the time.

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Really I think it's fair to blame everyone in the world, because apparently none of you bungholes bothered to tell him about Bike Locks.... damn you all!!!

But Really I blame myself, I should've been the one... the one to tell him about bike locks... /cry

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
[citation][nom]abbadon_34[/nom]It's one thing to take pictures of a vulnerable subject (house, valuables, teenage girls, etc.) and it's another to distribute those to a world inhabited by criminals and sickos. Google street view is awesome, but I'm sure they can afford to hire someone to filter the photos.Legal, you have an expectation of privacy in your home, and a split second open photograph of your garage while leaving home may not be conclusive but invites a 4th Amendment lawsuit to settle the issue. Maybe a Supreme Court decision will make everyone happy? Doubt it....[/citation]

This is a UK issue. We have our own courts thank you very much.

sirmorluk

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]a-nano-moose[/nom]Have you tried to ride a washing machine? You would be caught before you reached the end of the driveway.[/citation]
My wife says "the spin cycle has taken me further that any car ever could"
Whatever that means?

/jk

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
If it was not for Street View he might not have a photo to share with his insurance company - proving that he indeed owned a bike. All the thief has done is converted his bike into homeowners insurance claim.

leakingpaint

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2007
I'm not sure what's more pathetic, the guy in this piece of news, the fact that this has actually been posted...or the fact that I READ THIS complete waste of everyones time.

G

Ultimately street view made it easier for someone to see what this person owned. Shame on all of you for blaming the owner for getting something stolen. No one should have to lock their doors, even if it is the smart thing to do in today's world.

v1ze

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
[citation][nom]timespinner2222222[/nom]Ultimately street view made it easier for someone to see what this person owned.[/citation]
Next top story, man files lawsuit against window manufacturer.

turbolover22

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Glad my kids weren't out in the driveway when the streetview car went past my house. The kids might have gotten stolen.

Anyways, you can see the house and a car in the driveway. But you can't even tell what kind of car it is. The image is that great. I don't know how that guy expects that anyone looking at streetview images can decipher that the bike is worth stealing.

G

True enough that anyone driving by can see into his garage but it is wrong for Google Street view to broadcast to the rest of the world that he has a Beamer or Lambo in his garage (bike in this case). Chances are that the people driving down your street or most likely your neighbors and wont steal from you, but when you broadcast to the world what is in the garage, then you awaken all the theifs around the world. Which has more likelyhood of me being caught? Me robbing a bank or me robbing a bank and then broadcasting to the world that I robbed a bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.