Man Caught Using Cell Phone Jammer on Bus

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nikorr

Distinguished
According to NBC10, shortly after they confronted Eric, he called them to say he had confirmed that his use of the cell phone jammer was illegal and would be disposing of the device.
lol ...

v1ze

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
The logic behind making these outright illegal is flawed. Using this logic it must remain 100% legal for drivers to be able to use cell phones while driving because they may need to make an emergency call.

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
It's a shame this tech is illegal yet massive stupidity and inconsideration is legal (and common).

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Inanition02[/nom]Right, because none of them are on critical calls that absolutely cannot wait. And you can certainly decide who can talk and who can't. 95% probably can wait - but those others may be life and death, how do you know?[/citation]

when someone gets bad news, and i mean really bad news, they cant remain calm. assuming that this jammer is weak, it wont effect people to far away, so you aren't effecting someone far away. at the same time, am i the only person who things land lines should be used if at all possible for an important call?

but if i built it, i would get a laptop bag, and stitch the antenna into the bag, and make it so its a push button device, its only active when the button is pressed. so yea, far better.

--------------------------

anyway, i don't understand the problem... is this an "OH NO.... I CAN HERE SOMEONE TALK... MY LIFE IS OVER" kind of a reaction, i don't get the problem... i mean if the person is stupid and everything they are saying is facepalm worthy, than i can understand it a bit, but why don't you get some nice noise canceling earbuds? their are solutions to your problem that dont require them to hang up.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
People talk on their cell phones like whatever garbage they are saying NEEDS to be HEARD
by everyone around them.... and that's just wrong.

Yes, you DO have the right to express yourself (even if it is garbage), including but not limited to cell phones, BUT when you are interfering with the rights of those around you, that do NOT wish to listen to your garbage.... that's just wrong.

Remember that we ALL have rights, people seem to forget that, they think that "only them" have rights.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
I'm all for cell phone jammers. Take one to the movie theater and no a$$ clowns texting with their bright screens lighting up the place or calls vibrating or ringing.

Take one to the grocery store and get that a$$ clown off the phone when they could be checking out instead of holding everyone up

Take one to the apple store and watch the apple employees struggle to explain the shoddy cell signal on their own network... May be speaking from personal experience?
http://www.thesignaljammer.com/

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
how about a mandatory low power signal jammer installed under the driver seat of every new car with a 4-6' radius. emergency? pull the car over!

inanition02

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
[citation][nom]jgutz2006[/nom]how about a mandatory low power signal jammer installed under the driver seat of every new car with a 4-6' radius. emergency? pull the car over![/citation]

How do you get a call to find out about the emergency if your phone is jammed (or are phones outgoing only)? And then when I pull over to make a call, I cause a traffic jam due to the rubbernecking...and lose my signal each time a car drives by.

G

When I was born, there weren't any cell phones... everybody seemed to do just fine.

inanition02

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
[citation][nom]v1ze[/nom]The logic behind making these outright illegal is flawed. Using this logic it must remain 100% legal for drivers to be able to use cell phones while driving because they may need to make an emergency call.[/citation]

It's perfectly legal for everyone but the driver to have a phone and have it on. And I doubt anyone would argue that each time you get on a bus or train your phone should be OFF to all callers and not usable no matter the emergency.

inanition02

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
[citation][nom]kraeven[/nom]When I was born, there weren't any cell phones... everybody seemed to do just fine.[/citation]

Yes, but the world has changed - many people don't have landlines any more. And there aren't payphones on each corner (or hardly anywhere). Cell phones have been listed as emergency/sole contact numbers.

If you undo all of that (give everyone a landline, replace all the payphones and list landlines as emergency number for everyone) then I can see this.

Until an abusive spouse gets one and uses it to block outgoing calls for help.

G

If somebody dislikes noise so much, why not move away from the big city, and out into the country? Clearly he's some self righteous baby boomer douchebag.

If people talking loudly on cellphones bothers you, learn that it shouldn't.

zachusaman

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
[citation][nom]saxplayingcompnerd[/nom]Just go on Reddit, Toms gets everything a weeks after Reddit does.[/citation]
and reddit gets everything a year after the rest of the internet does..

inanition02

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
[citation][nom]zachusaman[/nom]Eric, you should tell us where you got your jammer...[/citation]

Maybe on the day you have an emergency and need someone to call an ambulance for you, you've left it on and hidden in your pocket.

zachusaman

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
[citation][nom]Inanition02[/nom]Maybe on the day you have an emergency and need someone to call an ambulance for you, you've left it on and hidden in your pocket.[/citation]
somebody was on the bus with eric i see...

inanition02

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
[citation][nom]zachusaman[/nom]somebody was on the bus with eric i see...[/citation]

No, and I hate people talking loudly on the phone as much as the next guy (particularly annoying on my elevator rides to and from my office...grr). I just don't want everyone taking the law into their own hands.

Also, I've had emergency situations where I needed to reach 911 right away - if someone else decided their peace and quiet was more important, I might not be here now.

pythy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Why can't they make a 3 meter directional signal jammer, like the one used in the movie Mission Impossible 1? That way if a person is talking loudly on the phone near you, the jammer will only jam that person and not affect anybody else?

inanition02

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
[citation][nom]pythy[/nom]Why can't they make a 3 meter directional signal jammer, like the one used in the movie Mission Impossible 1? That way if a person is talking loudly on the phone near you, the jammer will only jam that person and not affect anybody else?[/citation]

Well, that's not really how jammers work (unless you were willing to pull out a parabolic dish antenna, then it might be).

But even still you'd have the main issue with people taking the law into their own hands: people jump to conclusions and don't use due process before taking actions. Do you think everyone with one of these jammers would bother to figure out if the call they were going to terminate was important? Or an emergency? Or would they just figure they know best (or be annoyed) and cut it off?

That's why the general populace can't take police actions - as a rule the mass of people won't stop and think as the police are forced to (through training, warrants, judicial oversight, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.