Man Caught Using Cell Phone Jammer on Bus

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

poxenium

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
Unfortunately you can't force people to be polite ... for now. I imagine such laws will be absolutely necessary soon, to regulate people's behavior in large crowds (or in small public spaces like the bus, train, subway...etc.). In the future sneezing, coughing, yelling, jumping, singing ...and so on ... may be banned, although I have no idea how such laws would be enforced. It all starts with education I guess...

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]poxenium[/nom]Unfortunately you can't force people to be polite ... for now. I imagine such laws will be absolutely necessary soon, to regulate people's behavior in large crowds (or in small public spaces like the bus, train, subway...etc.). In the future sneezing, coughing, yelling, jumping, singing ...and so on ... may be banned, although I have no idea how such laws would be enforced. It all starts with education I guess...[/citation]
While the the thought of such laws, at first, seems like a God-send, there have been times when being polite, in history, have not been a good thing. ...makes me glad I live in a semi-free country (God bless the USA).

G

what is needed is a very low power device for just such occassions that would not have an operating range of more than a few meters, just enough to shut down the local gabbers ...

G

I seem to remember a story about someone who was offended by riding with people who hadn't washed. He sprayed anybody he thought was too smelly with deodorant. I forget what the outcome was. If everybody did stuff like this........Hey, if you are going to ride a bus or train or whatever you will eventually encounter people that annoy you. Who do YOU annoy?

stevenariader

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
[citation][nom]amdfangirl[/nom]Just a jammer? I would have bought an EMP device. Gotta hate those people who are on their iPods listening to music "privately".I was on a train where someone had Justin Beiber pumping loud and I was hlafway across the carriage and it drove me nuts.[/citation]
EMP device? Yep, it sounds very cool but this device will also stop the bus you are in or train you are in along with all other electronic devices in its working radius. But Eric did the smart thing: he got cell phone jammer that will not harm other devices except silencing mobile phones in its jamming radius.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Come on! This is like 3 days old news!
Please. There was even a video online with the interview from the local TV station.

Would imagine that this isn't the only story covered. That the news item has to be researched/authenticated and written up often thousands of miles away in a different time zone. If I was writing this it would take me a day to cover it and 10 days to fix my spelling xD

garyshome

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
The states are trying to ban drivers from using them. I can tell when someone is talking on the phone while driving, and not driving very well at that.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
[citation][nom]big city guy[/nom]If somebody dislikes noise so much, why not move away from the big city, and out into the country? Clearly he's some self righteous baby boomer douchebag.If people talking loudly on cellphones bothers you, learn that it shouldn't.[/citation]

I take it you've never been in a situation where someone is blasting out music from their mobile device? Where they're talking (and swearing) so loud they were literally shouting? Where they're only doing it to show off, and incite verbal or physical altercation? In the UK I've lost count how many bus operators turn a blind eye, with the driver refusing to 'get involved' for 'fear of reprisal' or 'in case they have weapons'. That's assuming the driver can communicate fluently in English.

It is hard to judge his situation without witnessing what he's talking about, but I don't think you need to live outside a heavily-populated area to get sick and tired of disrespectful people making a lot of noise and nuisance whilst using public transport. The general consensus from commuters seems to suggest this type of noise is often anti-social. I can understand his anger and frustration but I don't agree with potentially putting lives at risk by doing it.

Some people are just vermin who I feel, quite frankly deserve to be treated as such. Swearing, shouting, arguing, smoking, taking drugs and shouting their self-absorbed crap to anyone? WALK HOME.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Problem with jammers is everybody within the vicinity gets blocked including those who are not the culprit. It's like nuking a city block because a terrorist lives in a room in one of the apartments.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Pufft, if it had been me I wouldn't have been caught because the thing would have been turned on the minute I stepped on the bus and then turned off after I got off, end of story. They wouldn't have seen anything.

ejb222

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
There was a day not too long ago where cell phones were none existant. I'm sure if there was an emergency on the bus, the driver would have used his two way. Or someone would have have called from a store on the side of the street. I'm not saying cell phones haven't improved emergency response etc. But to act like you are causing someone to die because of a cell jammer is silly.

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
There are areas where cells should be 100% banned. Other venues are public where people are free to talk to each other whether on the phone or face to face. I get as annoyed as anyone else but I always ask myself if I would be annoyed if the same conversation were between persons not on the phone.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]RockNRollz[/nom][citation]What's your opinion on cell phone jammers? Are they too risky to be used at all, or do you think they'd be perfect for places like the movie theater or library? Let us know in the comments below![/citation]No it wouldn't be a good idea. What if someone hijacked the theater or library, no one could dial 911. Much like what was discussed n the bus incident. Jammers are a nice invention, but put in public places could be dangerous.[/citation] Correct if it is illegal the bad guys definitely will stop using it.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
If certain movie theaters advertised "cell-jammed" theaters, as in jamming limited to just the viewing room AND charged an extra dollar I would always, and I mean ALWAYS go to that theater with my money in hand.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
It's interesting to see how many people are unable to say anything to a person who's being excessively rude, out of fear of being whiny or rude themselves.

It's like in the gas station when someone accidentally cuts the line, simply because they didn't see it. Sometimes I'll see people speak up, and say "Hey, sorry, but the end of the line is actually over here", and others I see them just stand there with a slightly annoyed look thinking "oh jeez, they're not doing it on purpose, and I don't want to seem like a jerk, so I guess I'll let it go."

If someone's speaking too loud, tell them they're speaking too loud, for crying out loud. Bunch of babies.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
All this talk about 'making emergency calls'... makes one wonder how we survived as a species the last 20,000 years without cell phones :)

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]kraeven[/nom]When I was born, there weren't any cell phones... everybody seemed to do just fine.[/citation]

Not exactly. I am sure plenty of people would have been saved if cell phones existed in their time. I am not sure why 'Eric' didnt simply buy headphones to listen to music instead, most likely because Eric wasnt just taking law into his own hands but was being a little spiteful and cant blame him, plenty of annoying people out there. I do agree that the jammer not allowing peeps to dial 911 is a lil weak but the potential is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.