Man Caught Using Cell Phone Jammer on Bus

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

R0ck3tm4n

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
Actually, I will say something, this is an excellent area of discussion.
For the last 5 years I worked in a prison. Man, do those guys in there have cell phones. We couldn't keep them out. I think every prison should have a cell phone jammer tuned to jam signals within the prison. I realize this will extend out beyond the prison but this is something they can work on. Many low power jammer antennas within the prison perhaps. Someone has the solution. Of course, land line phones should be made available, free of charge to staff and visitors.

Other than prisons, I can't think of anywhere else right now. I want to say movie theaters, but that's probably not a good idea, too many bad things happen today.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Come on! This is like 3 days old news!Please. There was even a video online with the interview from the local TV station.[/citation]

IDC how old it is, haven't seen it, thanks to Tom's for posting this. On topic: that's a great thing to do, I hate people talking on the phone in public places. Text or something.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]r0ck3tm4n[/nom]Actually, I will say something, this is an excellent area of discussion.For the last 5 years I worked in a prison. Man, do those guys in there have cell phones. We couldn't keep them out. I think every prison should have a cell phone jammer tuned to jam signals within the prison. I realize this will extend out beyond the prison but this is something they can work on. Many low power jammer antennas within the prison perhaps. Someone has the solution. Of course, land line phones should be made available, free of charge to staff and visitors.Other than prisons, I can't think of anywhere else right now. I want to say movie theaters, but that's probably not a good idea, too many bad things happen today.[/citation]

well if you can detect that a cell phone is on, barring access to a thearter and public transprotation would be a decent step...

i have no problem with a cellphone being use, but to some people, they hate people who talk on a phone more than a child rapist.

as for jamming, make it so if a car is in motion, as in the break or park is no applied, the jammer is active in a 3 foot radius... realistically, if you pull over there will be no effect on you using the phone, and if you use your phone as an mp3 player, you dont need a cell signal to play music. personal use home jammers, 30 foot range would be decent enough.

and if you make the jammers legal, make sure that you tell people that if they want to make sure they are 100% covered to get some form of a land line, its something like 5-10$ a month for basic service where i live.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
[citation][nom]r0ck3tm4n[/nom]...For the last 5 years I worked in a prison. Man, do those guys in there have cell phones. We couldn't keep them out....[/citation]
A convict caught on video using a cell phone in a non-emergency situation (e.g. the prison is on fire) should be taken out into the prison yard, head put into a bucket to catch the mess, and shot. GAME OVER.

inanition02

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]as for jamming, make it so if a car is in motion, as in the break or park is no applied, the jammer is active in a 3 foot radius... realistically, if you pull over there will be no effect on you using the phone, and if you use your phone as an mp3 player, you dont need a cell signal to play music. personal use home jammers, 30 foot range would be decent enough. and if you make the jammers legal, make sure that you tell people that if they want to make sure they are 100% covered to get some form of a land line, its something like 5-10$ a month for basic service where i live.[/citation]

You need a signal for pandora/other services. Anyhow it's not like anyone uses their phones as GPS....or has you know passengers that may want to make or receive a call. And I never ask a passenger to look up an address, nearby restaurant or call people we're meeting to say we'll be late/early.

Actually, my car has a system that deactivates all of the touch features of the GPS/radio whenever it's in motion. And that's fine when I'm alone - but it stays disabled even if I have a passenger that could perfectly well enter a new destination or change the radio station. Really? They have a little alarm that dings if a passenger is in the passenger seat and isn't buckled up...and that sensor also activates the passenger airbag if they are over 100lbs. Couldn't it also re-enable the touchscreen?

But nope, "Big Brother" (gov't, carmaker, vigilante with a jammer) has to decide what's best for me.

inanition02

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Further, jammers block emergency INBOUND (ie, you don't know they're coming) calls - so how can pull over for those? If I'm on a 5 hour ride, I'd like to not have to wait that long to know I have a sick child, hospitalized parent, system down at work, etc.

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]anyway, i don't understand the problem... is this an "OH NO.... I CAN HERE SOMEONE TALK... MY LIFE IS OVER" kind of a reaction, i don't get the problem... i mean if the person is stupid and everything they are saying is facepalm worthy, than i can understand it a bit, but why don't you get some nice noise canceling earbuds? their are solutions to your problem that dont require them to hang up.[/citation]
That's a lot of earbuds just so one person can be inconsiderate of others.

angerftw

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
We all can agree to disagree! It can be dangerous, but it can be completely must-use in some other situations!

hp79

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
They should make the jamming device to only allow jamming for 1 second period per time. Then it won't be a safety concern and you can still stop those loud talkers.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]hp79[/nom]What an idiot. How did he even get caught? I totally understand him though.[/citation]
what are you talking about...i can't stand people that talk lound on their cell-phones....very disrespectful....you don' thave to yell, the microphones in the cell-phones are very sensitive

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
"I would imagine that would be a very different situation, of course; I’d imagine I’d be dialing 911 myself."

Nope, you jammed it remember?

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
Actually, I think his actions are quite appropriate. ...but unfortunately, the device seems too powerful. If he could keep the power down to a smaller radius.....

davidgermain

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2005
its a great idea. I think as long as these devices are engineered for the environment they are used in then go for it.
EG. built to cover the area your are personally responsible for cinema hall ect.

davidgermain

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2005
[citation][nom]Inanition02[/nom]Further, jammers block emergency INBOUND (ie, you don't know they're coming) calls - so how can pull over for those? If I'm on a 5 hour ride, I'd like to not have to wait that long to know I have a sick child, hospitalized parent, system down at work, etc.[/citation]

If your are on a 5hr trip to and from work what could you do other than worry pointlessly, the only time you could stop that public transport is at a stop, then you have to get off the bus (out of rang of jammer) then you have to find another bit of public transport to take you to your emergency. the amount of needless stress about caused by knowing something you can do little about leads to poor decision making and most likely will make what ever the situation is worse rather than better.

hp79

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]what are you talking about...i can't stand people that talk lound on their cell-phones....very disrespectful....you don' thave to yell, the microphones in the cell-phones are very sensitive[/citation]
I'm saying he's an idiot to be caught. I would like to have one of those device myself.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Inanition02[/nom]Right, because none of them are on critical calls that absolutely cannot wait. And you can certainly decide who can talk and who can't. 95% probably can wait - but those others may be life and death, how do you know?[/citation]

There was a long time there where humans didn't have cell phones. Get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.