Man Found Guilty for Tweeting Airport Bomb Threat

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

micky_lund

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]Don't run into the proverbial movie theater and scream fire, and then get upset when people blame you for a stampede. And then you wonder why you're being arrested for inciting a mob or some other thing.Folks, we live in a society where people really do blow up airports or airplanes (or cars, or farmers markets, or anything else). Even as a joke, stuff like this MUST be taken seriously, because law enforcement (let alone the general public) don't always know that your joke isn't half serious.[/citation]
yep

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]...and Darwin Award goes to.[/citation]

The Darwin Award would require him to die, or to render himself incapable of reproducing. I don't think this would even qualify as as an honorable mention.

croc

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2005
[citation][nom]wonspur[/nom]Cant remember the last time a terrorist attack was stopped because of a tweet being called in.[/citation]

I can't remember the last time a 'terrorist' attack was stopped, full stop. Even when a concerned father called his local US embassy to say that he thought his own son might be a threat, all it ended up doing was to increase the 'security measures' that the US mandates on the rest of the world in order to keep the US 'safe from 'terrorism''. Doesn't work, hasn't worked in the past, so why keep beating the same old drum? I could insert some relevant quotes here, but I will pretend that it would be insulting to (some) Yank's intelligence...

blueomni

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
If I make a comment like that amongst my friends, some might laugh, knowing that it is a joke.
When I see someone getting convicted for something so stupid I must say that the System and the Law it created are a joke too.

They speak about terrorism and created that Terrorism Act as an excuse to keep the world safe.

Well... if you hadn't created monsters like Saddam Hussein and Bin Laden, none of this would be necessary.

Please! One day you'll have a surveillance system monitoring you while you use the toilet...

Your government just wants to control all your moves, not the "terrorists" moves. Don't let yourself be fooled by your politicians.

Hopefully my comments won't be censored. In my country I still have the right to speak freely. Do you even remember those days? The days when you thought you fought for freedom?

What most worries me is that this terrorism nonsense is growing in european countries too.

lloydie_p

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]Don't run into the proverbial movie theater and scream fire, and then get upset when people blame you for a stampede. And then you wonder why you're being arrested for inciting a mob or some other thing.Folks, we live in a society where people really do blow up airports or airplanes (or cars, or farmers markets, or anything else). Even as a joke, stuff like this MUST be taken seriously, because law enforcement (let alone the general public) don't always know that your joke isn't half serious.[/citation]

That’s the problem no stampede…. brought to court for airing a thought.

At least if he had some previous terrorist involvement and or was found to have some method of carrying out an attack then such cases would be considered possibly justified. Otherwise a simple caution should suffice.

Frankly I think these laws are just used as method of reducing the number of such “airings” making it easier for security agencies to separate trash from the proverbial cash.

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Poor guy, sure his tweet wasen't too bright but people can say stupid things when annoyed.

I dont think he deserved such treatment, more like the government wants to make an example at how serious it is about brainwashing people that there really is a MASSIVE terrorist threat...

Really, +1 on blueomni's post.
Sure there are some terrorists out there, some poor unfortunate lost souls with serious dangerous issues, tho the so called terrorist issue is mostly thanks to the US government to have more control.

triculious

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
"I had to explain Twitter to them in its entirety because they'd never heard of it,"

where do the people in charge of airport security live? under a rock in the age of stone?
laptops and phones taken for bombs, not understanding social networks (not rocket science people! my mom who is 70 understands it) BUT charging about it

does it sound ridiculous to you or is it just me?

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
Another sad and pathetic Day in human history.Its the end times.World is almost at its end.This is why all these crazy things are going on.God is coming soon.Better know where you all are going.Jesus is our only salvation from this disgusting world.We need to pray for our fellow brothers and sisters around the world.That they will see the light and praise our lord.We as a human race have turned our backs on god.This is why all this is happening.Here comes all the thumbs downs and quotes of how I'm wrong from all the atheist and non believers.Go ahead and bash my beliefs.For I am free from the bondage of the world.I have been saved.I know where Im going and I fear nothing this world can throw at me.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
BULLSHIT. Just wait until somebody tells the police about 4chan. Threats should be taken in the context in which they were produced. I'd give an example now, but even that might be enough to charge me with some kind of Orwellian terrorism BS law.

2zao

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
even though it may seem as an overreaction.... too many times things like this are overlooked and brushed aside when in fact they are legit...

feel sorry for the poor guy though... maybe he'll make some money from being in this story or something that will counteract the cost of fines... doubtful...

zirex101

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
And the best thing that guy who hacked Britney Spears account could think of was "I give myself to the devil"... Given the situation, appearently someone can post anything on a hacked twitter account and you're screwed.

I understand this guy's account wasn't hacked but just saying

ithurtswhenipee

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Okay, so when is the last time an actual terrorist THREATENED to do anything? They just do it, you know - the element of surprise and such. That being said, you shouldn't being doing stuff like that. I think 985 pounds is a good deterrent to keep people from doing that. May I remind you all that this is the same country that essentially executed a "suspected terrorist" a.k.a. tube passenger for getting on the tube with a backpack while looking middle eastern. So in retrospect this guy got off easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.