man freaks out in Verizon store

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

highly hilarious


http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040514/D82IEFRO0.html




Man Hurls Phones, Causes $2K Store Damage




May 14, 11:38 AM (ET)


FARGO, N.D. (AP) - A man who said he was fed up with his cellular
phone service went to a Fargo mall and started hurling phones across a
store, striking an employee and causing more than $2,000 in damage,
authorities said.

Jason Perala, 22, of Fargo, told The Forum newspaper that he planned
only to yell at employees at Verizon Wireless.

"Then I just lost it," he said. "I just started grabbing computers and
phones and throwing them. I just destroyed the place. ... I kind of
regret that I did it, but I hope my message got across."

Police said Perala took off his shirt and put on safety glasses before
throwing around computers, phones and other items.

One employee was struck in the shoulder by a phone before he and other
workers dashed into an office, locked the door and called police, Sgt.
Kevin Volrath said. Other businesses in the West Acres mall lowered
their steel security gates during Thursday's incident.

Perala was arrested without incident and jailed on charges of felony
criminal mischief and misdemeanor simple assault.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

If the employees treated him the way the employees in the stores I've
visited treat customers, I can understand his frustration and contempt. What
a useless bunch of people these are. I think they are trained to not
acknowledge customers. I've never wanted to throw anything, but I'm on
drugs.

"Lee S." <nono@none.com> wrote in message
news:5hpaa0lhko0vbca4q40tlnn1hmi4rqnnsn@4ax.com...
>
> highly hilarious
>
>
> http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040514/D82IEFRO0.html
>
>
>
>
> Man Hurls Phones, Causes $2K Store Damage
>
>
>
>
> May 14, 11:38 AM (ET)
>
>
> FARGO, N.D. (AP) - A man who said he was fed up with his cellular
> phone service went to a Fargo mall and started hurling phones across a
> store, striking an employee and causing more than $2,000 in damage,
> authorities said.
>
> Jason Perala, 22, of Fargo, told The Forum newspaper that he planned
> only to yell at employees at Verizon Wireless.
>
> "Then I just lost it," he said. "I just started grabbing computers and
> phones and throwing them. I just destroyed the place. ... I kind of
> regret that I did it, but I hope my message got across."
>
> Police said Perala took off his shirt and put on safety glasses before
> throwing around computers, phones and other items.
>
> One employee was struck in the shoulder by a phone before he and other
> workers dashed into an office, locked the door and called police, Sgt.
> Kevin Volrath said. Other businesses in the West Acres mall lowered
> their steel security gates during Thursday's incident.
>
> Perala was arrested without incident and jailed on charges of felony
> criminal mischief and misdemeanor simple assault.
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

> I've never wanted to throw anything, but I'm on
> drugs.

That's a good thing to know. :)

A new warning sign for verizon stores.

"warning.....
Only people on heavy medication should enter this premises.
Anyone that enters this area under an inadequately medicated state
may have episodes of psycho behavior and uncontrollable anger."

:)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

absolutely fantastic! I would pay this guy's legal fees if I could.

"Lee S." <nono@none.com> wrote in message
news:5hpaa0lhko0vbca4q40tlnn1hmi4rqnnsn@4ax.com...
>
> highly hilarious
>
>
> http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040514/D82IEFRO0.html
>
>
>
>
> Man Hurls Phones, Causes $2K Store Damage
>
>
>
>
> May 14, 11:38 AM (ET)
>
>
> FARGO, N.D. (AP) - A man who said he was fed up with his cellular
> phone service went to a Fargo mall and started hurling phones across a
> store, striking an employee and causing more than $2,000 in damage,
> authorities said.
>
> Jason Perala, 22, of Fargo, told The Forum newspaper that he planned
> only to yell at employees at Verizon Wireless.
>
> "Then I just lost it," he said. "I just started grabbing computers and
> phones and throwing them. I just destroyed the place. ... I kind of
> regret that I did it, but I hope my message got across."
>
> Police said Perala took off his shirt and put on safety glasses before
> throwing around computers, phones and other items.
>
> One employee was struck in the shoulder by a phone before he and other
> workers dashed into an office, locked the door and called police, Sgt.
> Kevin Volrath said. Other businesses in the West Acres mall lowered
> their steel security gates during Thursday's incident.
>
> Perala was arrested without incident and jailed on charges of felony
> criminal mischief and misdemeanor simple assault.
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Chicken Bone" <biteme@noemail.com> wrote in message
news:f273ae27bae799ae9afc8f3f348673b4@news.meganetnews.com...
> absolutely fantastic! I would pay this guy's legal fees if I could.
>

I second that!

Where can I donate to His defence fund?
 

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
598
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <1Vrpc.5987$gr.450525@attbi_s52>,
"Breezy" <suziq4you2@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Chicken Bone" <biteme@noemail.com> wrote in message
> news:f273ae27bae799ae9afc8f3f348673b4@news.meganetnews.com...
> > absolutely fantastic! I would pay this guy's legal fees if I could.
> >
>
> I second that!
>
> Where can I donate to His defence fund?

If you 2 brain surgeons want to throw away your money, why don't you
just sign up with TMobile?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I see you've been there too!

"N9WOS" <n9wos@nobug.att.net> wrote in message
news:7igpc.60540$Ut1.1567249@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> > I've never wanted to throw anything, but I'm on
> > drugs.
>
> That's a good thing to know. :)
>
> A new warning sign for verizon stores.
>
> "warning.....
> Only people on heavy medication should enter this premises.
> Anyone that enters this area under an inadequately medicated state
> may have episodes of psycho behavior and uncontrollable anger."
>
> :)
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Chicken Bone wrote:
> absolutely fantastic! I would pay this guy's legal fees if I could.
>

If it had been me, I woudl have done it in a Cingular store.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Breezy" <suziq4you2@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1Vrpc.5987$gr.450525
@attbi_s52:

>
> "Chicken Bone" <biteme@noemail.com> wrote in message
> news:f273ae27bae799ae9afc8f3f348673b4@news.meganetnews.com...
>> absolutely fantastic! I would pay this guy's legal fees if I could.
>>
>
> I second that!
>
> Where can I donate to His defence fund?
>
>

spellchecker breezy
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <CXwpc.4642$NK3.3494@news02.roc.ny>,
ayah@frontiernet.nettttttttt says...
> Chicken Bone wrote:
> > absolutely fantastic! I would pay this guy's legal fees if I could.
> >
>
> If it had been me, I woudl have done it in a Cingular store.
>
>
>

Yeah, a Cingular store....count me in.
--

Drum-
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Gordy" <kg0wx@IHATESPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:Xns94EAF3A95E740hghtghff@216.196.97.132...
> "Breezy" <suziq4you2@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1Vrpc.5987$gr.450525
> @attbi_s52:
>
> >
> > "Chicken Bone" <biteme@noemail.com> wrote in message
> > news:f273ae27bae799ae9afc8f3f348673b4@news.meganetnews.com...
> >> absolutely fantastic! I would pay this guy's legal fees if I could.
> >>
> >
> > I second that!
> >
> > Where can I donate to His defence fund?
> >
> >
>
> spellchecker breezy

My Bad, *dyslexia*
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

N9WOS <n9wos@nobug.att.net> wrote:

> Judge others as you would want other's to judge you.
> And in the above case, that would be....
> Without mercy.
> Good day :)

So you don't think assault should carry a bigger penalty than jaywalking?

(Note: you don't actually have to physically touch someone for it to be
considered assault.)


--
JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, Apple Valley, CA PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / sjsobol@JustThe.net
Domain Names, $9.95/yr, 24x7 service: http://DomainNames.JustThe.net/
"someone once called me a sofa, but i didn't feel compelled to rush out and buy
slip covers." -adam brower * Hiroshima '45, Chernobyl '86, Windows 98/2000/2003
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
news:gf2dnQHaeaN-AzrdRVn-sA@lmi.net...
> N9WOS <n9wos@nobug.att.net> wrote:
>
> > Judge others as you would want other's to judge you.
> > And in the above case, that would be....
> > Without mercy.
> > Good day :)
>
> So you don't think assault should carry a bigger penalty than jaywalking?
>
You are taking my statement out of context.
I am not saying that what he did is no worse than jaywalking.

I am saying that, if it's his first real stupid act on record,
and he did not go into the store with the original intent of trashing the
place.
And it is just something that occurred from a momentary laps in judgment.

He should be given the benefit of the doubt.
Pay for the cost of the stuff he destroyed, and it duly noted on his record,
and be done with it.

If he repeats his stupidity again, then it is time to take a heavier
punishment.

> (Note: you don't actually have to physically touch someone for it to be
> considered assault.)

Assault is only a factor if the person that was hit
by the flying phone wants to press charges.

If the person intentionally threw the phone at the worker,
then it is up to the worker if he wants to press charges.

If the worker just happen to get in a way of a flying phone,
and it was not intentionally thrown at him.
Then I would consider that worker as being a jerk if he
pressed charges.
It is his right to press charges for assault,
but I would consider him a jerk, non the less.

If I pressed assault charges on someone every time someone
accidentally hit me with a shopping cart while in the store,
I would be a worthless a$$ hole.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

N9WOS <n9wos@nobug.att.net> wrote:
> I am saying that, if it's his first real stupid act on record,
> and he did not go into the store with the original intent of trashing the
> place.
> And it is just something that occurred from a momentary laps in judgment.
>
> He should be given the benefit of the doubt.
> Pay for the cost of the stuff he destroyed, and it duly noted on his record,
> and be done with it.

OK.

By the way, the point of my other statement was that you can do stuff
to people that DOESN'T involve getting physical but does meet the legal
standard for assault...


--
JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, Apple Valley, CA PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / sjsobol@JustThe.net
Domain Names, $9.95/yr, 24x7 service: http://DomainNames.JustThe.net/
"someone once called me a sofa, but i didn't feel compelled to rush out and buy
slip covers." -adam brower * Hiroshima '45, Chernobyl '86, Windows 98/2000/2003
 

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
598
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article
<CCOpc.70438$Ut1.1729827@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
"N9WOS" <n9wos@nobug.att.net> wrote:


> I am saying that, if it's his first real stupid act on record,
> and he did not go into the store with the original intent of trashing the
> place.
> And it is just something that occurred from a momentary laps in judgment.
>
> He should be given the benefit of the doubt.
> Pay for the cost of the stuff he destroyed, and it duly noted on his record,
> and be done with it.
>
>

If you really think that's enough of a punishment, then you are not
thinking.

People have to pay big time for their momentary lapses.

He should pay for all the actual physical damages to cellphone and
computer equipment. That's a no brainer.

How about the fact that the store had to close, couldn't sell phones or
service, yet still had to pay employees, pay for rent on the building
that day, pay for electricity, etc..?

Aside from that, the store's insurance will pay for everything, and it's
the insurance company that will go after this guy. Do you really think
they will just let it go paying for just the stuff he physically
destroyed?

The insurance company will get this guy for broken equipment.
The Verizon store will sue this guy in small claims court for their
insurance deductible.

Then somebody will sue this guy because that somebody will never be able
to walk into a store again without the fear of having a cellphone thrown
at them.

Then, a Verizon employee will sue verizon because they couldn't secure a
safe working environment.

Cingular, TMobile, Nextel and AT&T will install metal detectors at their
stores and hire staff psychologists to interview people before they are
allowed into the actual selling area.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

N9WOS <n9wos@nobug.att.net> wrote:

> The insurance will not need to pay anything if the
> person that caused the damage pays for it.

Right. This happens all the time. The insurance company pays the claim
and then nails the person who is actually supposed to be financially
responsible ...

>> The Verizon store will sue this guy in small claims court for their
>> insurance deductible.
>
> What deductible will there be if he pays for it?

They'll pay a deductible if the insurance company covers the claim, even
if the insurance company subsequently collects from the guy.

Personally, I can understand his frustration but I still hope someone nails
his family jewels to the wall. Should he be required to pay punitive damages?
Probably not (and at least in the state where I live, punitive damages have
been eliminated from the legal process). Should he be required to reimburse
the store? Hell yeah. Should he get hit with criminal charges? You bet.

This wasn't a spurious incident. It *was* premeditated. Even if he only
originally intended to spout off at the employees.

--
JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, Apple Valley, CA PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / sjsobol@JustThe.net
Domain Names, $9.95/yr, 24x7 service: http://DomainNames.JustThe.net/
"someone once called me a sofa, but i didn't feel compelled to rush out and buy
slip covers." -adam brower * Hiroshima '45, Chernobyl '86, Windows 98/2000/2003
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

> By the way, the point of my other statement was that you can do stuff
> to people that DOESN'T involve getting physical but does meet the legal
> standard for assault...

I get what you are getting at.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

> By the way, the point of my other statement was that you can do stuff
> to people that DOESN'T involve getting physical but does meet the legal
> standard for assault...

I see what you are getting at.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

> I see what you are getting at.

Ignore the second post, my news reader is acting funny.
It crashed, and I didn't think the first one went through.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Wireless Carriers 1
S Wireless Carriers 0
F Wireless Carriers 0
F Wireless Carriers 1
Chrissygirl84 Wireless Carriers 8
W Wireless Carriers 0
B Wireless Carriers 2
A Wireless Carriers 6
PhilipMichaels Wireless Carriers 2
G Wireless Carriers 13
M Wireless Carriers 3
D Wireless Carriers 1
R Wireless Carriers 1
E Wireless Carriers 2
S Wireless Carriers 1
D Wireless Carriers 1
E Wireless Carriers 1
S Wireless Carriers 1
F Wireless Carriers 1
L Wireless Carriers 1

ASK THE COMMUNITY