Man Gets Speeding Ticket, Buys Police Website

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomrippity02

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Pyroflea[/nom]HAH, flawless victory. How the hell can you go >42 days without noticing your website doesn't work?[/citation]

Its a town of less than 1500 people. You can go that long because no one actually looks at the site. hell, the guy who owns the site is probably responsible for most of the hits he has had.

spiralsun1

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Speed RADAR should be banned. So should all cameras. Speed limits were to stop people driving recklessly or dangeously. If you cannot tell someone is speeding without a radar gun, they do not deserve a ticket. The original speed-limit laws were passed before all this technology. Technology changes the law without representation or due process. That is wrong. tickets have become a way to harvest dollars. You can pull someone over and give them a ticket now for just 1 mile over with radar. People do not deserve a 100.00 ticket for one mile over. Even 5 or 10 miles over IMHO. Peoples speed varies a lot, as does driving skill and the vehicle weight and stopping distance. To be fair, this should all be taken into account too, but it's not. I received a ticket for 10 miles over the limit on my motorcycle which weighs 350 lbs, and can out-stop or out-maneuver an SUV going UNDER the speed limit. Even if I did hit someone, it might dent their car only... why do I get the same 100.00 ticket as someone driving a lethal SUV? Traffic laws are so messed-up and unfair even without cameras or radar...

G

In my experience, the people who stick to the speed limit consistenly fail to indicate at junctions, roundabouts, and when overtaking on the highway. Furthermore, most of them are old folks who do the same speed everywhere no matter what the limit.

potatolord

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
So he got fined $90, and then spent a further $80 (and his time) putting up a website to moan that he drove through a red light? and he now has to deal with hundreds of emails from morons whining that they broke the law and got caught doing it? And now, not only has he been fined, but he's actively annoying the cops in his home town?

Well done- you're a winner!

Still, I'm pretty glad that when he ran that red light he didn't kill someone. But then he can't be lucky all the time.

G

There are speed limits for a reason if you dont speed you wont be fined simple. Then they wont be able to afford to keep the cameras running. People make such a fuss i have never got a speeding ticket, stop breaking the law and then crying about it. And people who say they cause accidents are stupid if you keep your distance from the car you will be fine : )

If this gets thumbed down then it will just prove my point.

After reading the comments logged on here all I can say is... wow, you guys really need to step back and look at what you are spewing. A few examples...

"red light cameras causing more accidents"
If a light turns yellow that normally means you should slow down, perhaps if drivers weren't 2ft from your bumper then they might actually see your brake lights. Yellow does not mean speed up to "slip through"

"Speeding is not unsafe"
While I do agree that skilled drivers can have complete control over their car going over the speed limit, people get carried away. Speeding around blind corners, zig-zag interstate passing, double-lane crossings and tailgating to name a few. The only reason why a speed limit would cause accidents is between those who ignore the law and those who follow the rules. If everyone was law-abiding then we would be fine.

"ticket for 1mph over"
I have never ran into trouble like this. Usually there is the previously stated 5mph "buffer-zone" In any case, fines are relative to the speed you are going. The same counts for points against your record.

"jimb0678: ...people who stick to the speed limit fail to...are old folks..."
The lack of turn signals has nothing to do with the speed a person is moving at. On average, at least around here, people who go the speed limit tend to be more curteous and actually use them. I'm not elderly and I follow the laws, why don't you?

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]overclockingrocks[/nom]case of the guy that had simpsonsmovie.com like 8 years before the movie was released and was ordered to give it to Fox[/citation]

In that case it was a name where a copyright was owned even if 8 years after the domain name was registered. simpsonmoviefan.com or something of that might have survived, but Fox had a legal right to the name even if they didn't yet own the domain name.

So in this case it really depends a lot on what the website name was and does that violate any ICANN rules for the new owner to use the domain name.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
worse thing is having Richmond police breathing down your neck. they lose business from me due to their stupid police officers.

G

Quick tip: if you ever get caught on a red light camera, go to the site and time how long the yellow light is. Then time some surrounding lights, which don't have cameras. A good bet the red light camera yellow is shorter than the yellows at surrounding lights. The ticket will also show how long after the light turned yellow you entered the intersection. If you entered it a fraction of a second after yellow and the yellow is relatively shorter, you have a case.

Why is this so? Because the company that installs and maintains them wants to generate a lot of revenue, so that the city is happy and the contract is maintained.

This happened to me and indeed, the yellow was shorter than those at nearby lights. I was all armed with this defense but then I got off, because they couldn't locate my paperwork,, before I had a chance to try it out. I have to imagine it would have been just cause for dismissal though. Certainly worth a try.

h

Status
Not open for further replies.