Man Gets Stolen Car Back Thanks to Gmail

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]_Cubase_[/nom]Gmail is about as responsible for getting this guys card back as sesame street is responsible for getting my car back: "Today is brought to you by the letters A, B, C... and the numbers 1, 2 and 3".[/citation]
You mean the Jackson 5, not Sesame Street.

tmk221

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
[citation][nom]malmental[/nom]what kind of grown working man in FL of all places drives a beat-up Mazda,?[/citation]

one that think (and is correct:)) mazda is the best car maker?

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]fyasko[/nom]Officers run plates on people not even breaking the law...[/citation]
I always thought that driving a stolen car was a felony...

Vampyrbyte

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
[citation][nom]fyasko[/nom]Officers run plates on people not even breaking the law...[/citation]

Its people like you that make me lose my faith in humanity.
How is running your plate through a computer any different to simply looking at you?
its not an implication. Its a check, to check IF the car is stolen. Funnily enough when criminals rob a car they don't write "STOLEN CAR, PULL ME OVER" in blood on the back.

Don't you think there would be alot less stolen cars if Plates were scanned more often?

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
And it gets people their cars back, even if they didnt just steal it. If that's an attempt at bashing on the police for doing their job, then you can go ahead and delete your account now.

It doesn't bother you in any way whatsoever. It helps people. Period. Stop trolling.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]Arglebargle[/nom]You shouldn't be worried if you have nothing to hide...[/citation]

This bit of apologist wording keeps cropping up. Sure it might be nice to get your car back when it was stolen, but like any power the police or government gets, they WILL abuse it.

Not belong to the right political party in a district that might be contested? Your personal interests might be deemed less than moral? You annoy the chief of police's wife?

We already hear many incidents of these things happening. Yet people still think that if they are doing nothing wrong, they are safe. They aren't, because someone might hold a grudge against you, you might be in the wrong place at the wrong time, or someone might need something you have to advance themselves politically.

Don't be an idiot and think it won't be abused.

[citation][nom]fancarolina[/nom]Duh ... Ever wondered what that cop is doing while he is tailgating you.[/citation]

Sometimes they are trying to get you to speed so they can pull you over and give you a ticket.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]spam123[/nom]I think the "Report SPAM" button on this site is like the "close door" button on elevators. Just there to make us feel better, but really does nothing.[/citation]
that button works, but you need to know the combination to push buttons in to make it work

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]mikem_90[/nom]This bit of apologist wording keeps cropping up. Sure it might be nice to get your car back when it was stolen, but like any power the police or government gets, they WILL abuse it.Not belong to the right political party in a district that might be contested? Your personal interests might be deemed less than moral? You annoy the chief of police's wife? We already hear many incidents of these things happening. Yet people still think that if they are doing nothing wrong, they are safe. They aren't, because someone might hold a grudge against you, you might be in the wrong place at the wrong time, or someone might need something you have to advance themselves politically.Don't be an idiot and think it won't be abused.[/citation]

i was told y a cop once that laws are so strict, everyone is technically doing something illegal, if a cop wants to pull you over, they can, and have reason if they know the law good enough.

if you want to see how power gets abused, try being black, and drive a new car through an area where most black people cant afford a brand new car.

lets see if it takes you more than 1 hour before you get pulled over.

skyjogger

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
running the plates doesn't affect any one because you don't even notice they are doing it. they mostly do it to make sure the car has rego. here in Australia they don't even need to look up your plates you just need to drive past one and a camera on the police car will read your plates and run it.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]Arglebargle[/nom]You shouldn't be worried if you have nothing to hide...[/citation]

You shouldn't worry as long as someone doesn't want to mess your life up. Has nothing to do with what you did or didn't do just who the cops will believe. Hopefully you wont figure that one out the hard way.

Best part about this so far is everyone on fyasko's butt bashing him and one person actually turns what he said around. Just for making a truthful statement that from what i can tell wasn't really implying anything but the fact the cops run your plates no matter what as if he was saying anything other then that or what he was saying was bad lol. Calm down people.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008

They are required to run X amount of plates a day as a way of naturally checking for bad tags, stolen cars, missing inspections, etc. It is a standard procedure. But as long as you are obeying the law and the DMV doesn't mess anything up, you have no worries. =)

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007

I'm sure glad you feel that way. The mandatory body cavity searches start next week. Since you've got nothing to hide there should be no problem.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]I really hope you're joking.[/citation]

Here in Ohio, there are a few departments using cars with slick side-mounted cameras tied into a very fast image processing computer that can run every plate visible to the car automatically and in real-time, no matter how fast the car passes by. So yes, you better hope you have nothing to hide, because if you are out in public doing **** you aren't supposed to be doing, you bet your *** you are gonna get caught. And that's the way it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS