Man Sends Camera Into Space to Take Cool Photos

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I would assume he needs to get some sort of license or written permission to let these loose. Might want to consider that before you get blamed for it taking down a jet after getting sucked in an engine.

G

A bunch of people have done this - example: google "MIT, students, balloon" - nice hobby but fairly common thing to do. Our undergrad class did this a couple of weeks ago.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
it won't be long before individuals will be sending their own devices into orbit (not corporate). I do wonder what aerospace regulations are for putting objects into high-altitude without a flight plan...

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
What an awesome way to blow 750 bucks! Really, that's cool. That's how much NASA should be spending. I mean, come on. We know there's planets up there, we know that we can't live on the moon and Mars is too far for us to travel unless you plan on building a Star Trek Voyager. It ain't gunna happen. So what if there's life in other areas of the universe. What's spending money going to do? If they're going to wipe us out, it'll happen. and I'm sorry, NASA or not, we'll be screwed. Might as well just give the money to the poor.

G

[citation][nom]hixbot[/nom]Tony Stark: How did you solve the icing problem?[/citation]

What icing problem?

G

Let's all wake up and stop talking about NASA shall we.
http://www.virgingalactic.com/

G

What if an airplane hit this thing while it's going up? Can cause a plane crash??? Hmm.....

santfu

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Shez[/nom]Is anyone else really surprised that the furthest one of his cameras has fallen from the launch point is 50 miles? Perhaps thats the furthest one he's recovered but if not that's just plain shocking. Up 22 miles and back down with only 50 miles of horizontal travel?[/citation]

This got me thinking, you'd need good weather forecasts, over the UK you would need to know when the jet-stream is flowing elsewhere, but if that was the case 50 miles horizontal doesn't seem to bad.

duffymoon

Distinguished
May 9, 2007
[citation][nom]rockyjohn[/nom]Amazing. Would have been nice if the writer at least told us where it was or what the pictures were of. Isn't the "where" still part of basic journalism? Pictures of and more specifics on his device would also have been nice.[/citation]

Well the second one looks like it could be looking East across The Wash to Norfolk. The first is more tricky, but might be looking more Northerly towards the North Sea.

The TV report I saw on this said he always gets CAA clearance first. It also claimed NASA had been in touch - but these stories always do.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Image how much better his pics would be if he used a 5DMKII or D700, although not within his $700 budget, still, way lower than any Nasa missions.

Steven Bancroft

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
[citation][nom]hundert[/nom]The commercial ones I fly are 35000 feet. Business planes go all the way up to 45000feet.While 22 miles would be around 116000 ft, I am not stupid enough to write x2.5 and to make a point, I did not use commercial planes altitude.For an object to be in space, it has to go above 62 miles high. To be more scientifically exact, it has to be 75 miles.22 miles aint no space. Period.These pictures were taken with wide angled lense. If you as a person find yourself being 22 miles high above surface, you will know that this is really not high compared to the pictures you see in the NEWS. I can see buildings clearly that are 10 miles away from a balcony.THIS AINT HIGHWhat's your point?[/citation]

Stop bitching or do something better. Yesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.