Man With Hitler Speech as Ringtone Faces Jailtime

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
[citation][nom]chriskrum[/nom]The U.S. did, literally, save democracy in Western Europe by defeating the Germans there before the Russians got there but it's pretty clear that Russia would have one the war without the allies.[/citation]

I disagree, I think that without the Americans backing the British and fighting the Japanese the war would've been won by the axis. The allied offensive in Africa would've failed, D-Day would never have happened, the British would have negotiated a peace treaty with Hitler (which he would have accepted) and the Soviets would be beaten numb, the scale would've tipped in favor of the Germans and a possible Japanese attack on Vladiwostok would've choked the Soviets to death: in our history they held on against the Germans by pulling troops from Siberian and those troops couldn't be at two places at once, so a Japanese attack would've been the end for the Soviets, probably with lots of subjugated peoples rebelling against the Russians.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
[citation][nom]moeHAMhad[/nom]I will not preach race hate.[/citation]
Dear moderators;

Muslims aren't a race. As much as I agree; basic facts. If we start getting it wrong, they might start believing it. Like the Jews.

Hey .. it was like midnight and I was tired.
So it was a breach of ToS ... good enough?

chriskrum

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
[citation][nom]Gulli[/nom]I disagree, I think that without the Americans backing the British and fighting the Japanese the war would've been won by the axis. The allied offensive in Africa would've failed, D-Day would never have happened, the British would have negotiated a peace treaty with Hitler (which he would have accepted) and the Soviets would be beaten numb, the scale would've tipped in favor of the Germans and a possible Japanese attack on Vladiwostok would've choked the Soviets to death: in our history they held on against the Germans by pulling troops from Siberian and those troops couldn't be at two places at once, so a Japanese attack would've been the end for the Soviets, probably with lots of subjugated peoples rebelling against the Russians.[/citation]

One can argue that. However, there was no declaration of war between Russia and Japan and I've seen little evidence to indicate that there would have been without the Allies pushing so hard for one from Russia. The Japanese had the same fear about a Russian front as the Russians did about a Japanese one -- they were both preoccupied with other theaters. Besides, my post is strictly regarding the European theater -- the Pacific really had little bearing on it except where it determined the level of commitment the U.S. had. If the U.S. had ignored Europe and concentrated entirely on the Pacific (after all Japan did attack the U.S.) the Russians would have still defeated the Germans (and would have had even less to fear from a Japanese attack freeing up more Siberian divisions).

Also, only a few Siberian divisions were moved--far from all of them. When the war with Japan did begin the Japanese were rolled up rapidly.

alphadark

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I think we can all agree that the sacrifices from all the Allied forces was for the greater good of the world.

I do not agree with the man on the bus but I believe that he has a right to do it. It is disgusting but if that happened in America and he was arrested I would be horrified. I saw a mention of the Tea Partiers in America, they have the right to protest also. I don't agree with all of them but they believe very strongly in the constitution and the principles that founded it. Thomas Jefferson said it best “The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then.”

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]jgiron[/nom]This is Germany where Adolf killed many people. It would be the equivalent of the KKK going around singing 'death to all [insert racist verbiage here]'I do believe in freedom of speech but there has to be limitations.[/citation]
I disagree with this. Freedom of speech should be exactly that, you should be free to say what you want, no matter how hate filled or ignorant it is. Once you start making exceptions for one group you run the risk of eventually losing everything as more and more groups come forward saying X is offensive and they want it banned. Germany can make its own laws and decide how what they want to restrict but here in the US I think freedom of speech should be absolute because what is offensive varies from person to person. Of course, that doesn't mean you're allowed to threaten people, but idiots spewing out racist hate speech is one of those consequences that we have to put up with in order to be free.

wydileie

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
The point is chriskrum, if the US was not there There are several other things that would have tipped the Germans' way.

The Japanese would have attacked the Soviet Union as their attack on the US would never have happened and there was no one else to attack. The Soviet Union was already devastated with many of their cities obliterated (structurally) leaving much for the Japanese to attack freely and the Japanese navy would have completely obliterated any Soviet Union overseas supply lines.

The Germans would have won the African campaign, giving them many more desperately needed resources they could use to further destroy the Soviet Union.

As stated, Britain would have fallen and would have made peace with Germany, thus giving Germany a single front of attack on Russia and most likely more supplies as well as Britain would have had to have some sort of surrender agreement giving Germany a lot of resources/money/etc.

And if nothing else, the US offered a distraction for the Germans away from the Soviet Union. With full effort focused on the motherland, there is little doubt the Germans would have probably won in the end. Russia did not have the necessary supplies or production ability to beat the Germans. Without the US's help, Russia could not keep up with Germany in supplies.

pinkfloydminnesota

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]jimishtar[/nom]this is just stupid. what happened to freedom of speech and thoughts ?[/citation]
Now maybe you can appreciate the uniqueness of America and our little experiment, still unproven and not looking so hot now, but better than any of the alternatives eh?

gregor

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
[citation][nom]gmcboot[/nom]Maybe you should find some of the few remaining vets either in the states, England, Poland, Italy, to name a few to discuss the roles of the United States in WWII. I have no idea of you are american or whatever, but before you dismiss the role of the US in WWII you should actually know something about it.[/citation]
I dont think hes dismissing the role of the US in WWII, he is however saying the Russians had a far greater role (or perhaps hitlers stupidity in over extending his forces did)
If they hadn't been fighting on 2 front, then possibly D day, if it happened at all, would've been a massacre.

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
[citation][nom]chriskrum[/nom]One can argue that. However, there was no declaration of war between Russia and Japan and I've seen little evidence to indicate that there would have been without the Allies pushing so hard for one from Russia. The Japanese had the same fear about a Russian front as the Russians did about a Japanese one -- they were both preoccupied with other theaters. Besides, my post is strictly regarding the European theater -- the Pacific really had little bearing on it except where it determined the level of commitment the U.S. had. If the U.S. had ignored Europe and concentrated entirely on the Pacific (after all Japan did attack the U.S.) the Russians would have still defeated the Germans (and would have had even less to fear from a Japanese attack freeing up more Siberian divisions).Also, only a few Siberian divisions were moved--far from all of them. When the war with Japan did begin the Japanese were rolled up rapidly.[/citation]

Germany declared war on the US in order to get her ally, Japan, to declare war on the Soviet Union. Hitler had hoped that Japan can distract the Soviet Union in the Far East enough to lessen the pressure on the Eastern Front.

Japan was scared witless in 1933 by a Soviet offensive against her Manchurian forces, and refused to declare war on the Soviet Union. Stalin had little worries to move the Far East reserves to the Eastern Front.

Soviet Union moved more than 1 million troops from the Eastern Front to the Far East in a little over 3 months after the defeat of Germany to set up the invasion of Manchuria.

Soviet Union did not have the ability to wage a 2 front war. The only nation that could and did was the US. Not only that, we waged a 2 front war, supplied the Soviet Union with Lend-Lease, fought in the air, on land, and in the seas, plus researched the A-bomb.

The US's GDP at the end of WW2 was greater than that of all other combatants combined.

orionite

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom] Given its overwhelming power, they've even been rather gentle...[/citation]
I think the Palestinians who've been forced out of their ancestral homes at gun point or the ones that were shot on the spot because they went back inside to get their belongings would disagree with you.
I do agree on your points regarding Hitler and Nazism. To spread or incite racial hatred is forbidden under German law. This is not restricted to anti-semitism, but give Germany's history, it is considered especially distasteful.

And to our friends hailing from the "free-est nation on earth": I felt orders of magnitude more free when I lived back in Europe. Here, the police are everywhere. You have to be careful what you say, as anything might be mis-construed. The whole (mis-)prioritization of Sex vs. Violence makes me cringe every time. Chillax! Everything seems so over-regulated, here. And that's a German saying this! Please try and live in different parts of the world for a little bit, and you will find that the middle ages don't start after you leave the continent.

gregor

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]Better equipped? The Sherman tank was widely mocked, being inferior only to the Japanese junk. It's only advantage was the ease of mass-producing it.[/citation]
Yes theres a good reason it got the nickname "Tommy cooker"...

wydileie

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
I think the Palestinians who've been forced out of their ancestral homes at gun point or the ones that were shot on the spot because they went back inside to get their belongings would disagree with you.
I do agree on your points regarding Hitler and Nazism. To spread or incite racial hatred is forbidden under German law. This is not restricted to anti-semitism, but give Germany's history, it is considered especially distasteful.

And to our friends hailing from the "free-est nation on earth": I felt orders of magnitude more free when I lived back in Europe. Here, the police are everywhere. You have to be careful what you say, as anything might be mis-construed. The whole (mis-)prioritization of Sex vs. Violence makes me cringe every time. Chillax! Everything seems so over-regulated, here. And that's a German saying this! Please try and live in different parts of the world for a little bit, and you will find that the middle ages don't start after you leave the continent.

It can go both ways with the Palestinian vs Israel debate. The fact is Israel could have wiped the Palestinians off the face of the earth, but they haven't. They are living in a very contentious situation, surrounded by countries that would love to see them wiped out. A large majority of their "cruel treatment" is simply a survival reflex.

In reality, there is wrong on both sides, but Israel won the land fighting for it in two wars and are still being pressed on on all sides. In actuality, everyone but the US stands against them, even most of Europe. They have won the right to force the Palestinians out of the land and they haven't. If anything, they are being nicer then the Arabs deserve.

Speaking to the freedom aspect, Europe's perceived "freedom" is just that, perceived. Their laws are much stricter and harsher when it comes to actual human rights. Yes, the US have a lot of regulation on things like sex and drugs, etc, but that comes from our culture. When it comes to true freedoms, none rival the US. If you are scared of saying the wrong thing in the US, then you obviously don't know the laws. As long as you don't threaten someone or yell obscenities (in certain cities) you are fine. If its harsh enough you might get shivved by some guy walking by but as far as the law goes you are safe.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]Excuse me for the typo, it is indeed the 2nd Joseph Stalin tank and not the third. Still, it was considered the most advanced tank in the world by the allies at its launch.The Panther was a formidable tank, but the T34/85 was capable of piercing its hull at 1 km distance, something not easily achieved by any other tank of its time...Besides, Germany couldn't produce the Panther and Tiger on a large enough scale to matter.The T34 was great. It was one of the heaviest armed, fastest and most standardized tanks in the world at its launch and the 85mm gun upgrade made it even better.The Sherman could indeed cross pretty rough terrain, but was prone to catching fire (hence its nicknames like 'Tommy Cooker' and 'Ronson Lighter'), poor engines (they had to implement 4 types of engine, as each type proved faulty), its armor wasn't that heavy and the 75 mm gun was pretty weak by 1994-45 standards. Fortunately it was the most produced tank in the whole of WWII (more Shermans were produced than the entire British and German tank production combined).Mosquito bombers, Lancasters and many others were already bombing Germany before American intervention. The later bombardments (like Dresden) were simple terror bombardments without any military importance whatsoever.Actually, even without bombardment German production wouldn't have been as impressive as you make it sound. Many resources, oil for example, were in short supply in Germany (this is why Germany tried so hard to conquer the Caucasus). Yup, the Soviets went to the verge of destruction - something Americans can't say. The material aid given to Britain was huge, that given to the Soviet Union certainly significant, but not decisive.[/citation]

Again, you talk without knowledge.

Germany was able to convert coal into oil, which they used. Bombing destroyed these plants, robbing Germany of fuel. Please do your research.

The T-34 was completely outclassed in armor and firepower by 1942, by the Tiger, and in every way possible by the Panther.

The 85 had no chance to pierce frontal armor of a Panther 1000m. The Panther had more armor, and a much more powerful gun than the 85. The armor penetration was similar to the 122mm of the IS-2. Surely you're not saying the T-34/85 was equal to the Panther. Please say you're not that uninformed.

The German heavy, the King Tiger, was better armored, and better armed than the IS-2.

Mosquitoes did essentially no damage to Germany production. Lancasters had to bomb at night because they got slaughtered during the day. Night bombing was much less effective. Don't you know anything about this? Anything at all?

Also, bombing during the day meant more contact with German fighters, which meant more losses to German fighters. German night fighters were largely obsolete Me-110s, their day fighters were their front-line fighters, generally. Although, in both cases, it wasn't absolute.

The German economy was huge once Hitler went into total war. 1944 numbers, despite bombing were very high, despite the German fascination for making things overly complicated. Despite that, by 1944, they had the best tanks, best fighters, best artillery (although Americans were more effective at using it), best anti-tank, best machine guns and best FlAK guns.

Your views are uninformed and biased.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]blurr91[/nom]Germany declared war on the US in order to get her ally, Japan, to declare war on the Soviet Union. Hitler had hoped that Japan can distract the Soviet Union in the Far East enough to lessen the pressure on the Eastern Front.Japan was scared witless in 1933 by a Soviet offensive against her Manchurian forces, and refused to declare war on the Soviet Union. Stalin had little worries to move the Far East reserves to the Eastern Front.Soviet Union moved more than 1 million troops from the Eastern Front to the Far East in a little over 3 months after the defeat of Germany to set up the invasion of Manchuria.Soviet Union did not have the ability to wage a 2 front war. The only nation that could and did was the US. Not only that, we waged a 2 front war, supplied the Soviet Union with Lend-Lease, fought in the air, on land, and in the seas, plus researched the A-bomb.The US's GDP at the end of WW2 was greater than that of all other combatants combined.[/citation]

You're wrong. Japan had already signed a non-aggression pact with the Soviet Union, and Hitler knew there was no chance of them declaring war on the Soviets once they were pre-occupied with the U.S. and Britain.

Many Germans wanted to declare war on the U.S. because we were helping the English so much, breaking the rules of neutrality. The Kreigsmarine felt they could be much more effective without being handcuffed by the restrictions on attacking American ships. Pearl Harbor gave the Germans an opportunity to wage more aggressive naval warfare, and they took it. They were extremely effective at first, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.