Managed file transfer solution - REQUEST

Florin050

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
Good day,

I work for a shipping company as an IT guy and I'm looking for a solution.

We have about 30 vessels that have a unstable / sometimes expensive data connection.
The vessels have safety documents on board, which change often. When a document is changed, we at the office have to print the whole document (book) again, and distribute it to the vessels. This is expensive and very time consuming.

Now I'm thinking of transferring the files over the internet. (documents total are like 2GB / few thousand files) Now I've thought of Drop Box as a solution, so all the vessels would have the most recent documents. Now Dropbox isn't really meant for use on vessels, since it is used on PC's that always have a internet connection.

I would like to have 1 host in our office, with a folder that has to be synchronized to the vessels, but only when the vessel chooses to update. ( like a version check, vessel has version 1.1, office has 1.2, so the vessel downloads the changed files ) Our vessels do have 4G-SIM connections when they sail near shore. So when they are in range they should be able to download large files.

The main folder should be read only, so they don't mess things up . But i would also like a folder that they can put in documents, to transfer them to the office. ( edited forms in example. )

Is there a software solution for this? or does someone know how to set up something like this? I've been thinking of Resilio or Sparkleshare, but I havent really tested them yet, and I don't know if they are suit for our case.

Thanks for reading.

Solution
You can use dropbox or any cloud storage on anything with an internet connection, it does not need to be on at all times. When you need the files, connect, download, done. You having the files on a sever in an office that they connect to will be pretty much 100% the same as using an existing cloud storage solution.
You can use dropbox or any cloud storage on anything with an internet connection, it does not need to be on at all times. When you need the files, connect, download, done. You having the files on a sever in an office that they connect to will be pretty much 100% the same as using an existing cloud storage solution.

Solution