Manufacturers, Carriers Supporting Mozilla's Firefox OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
its going to a long while till it will catch up to iOS and Android. Android is just now begining to become a polished clean OS.

PS: If you ave a custom rom from some shitty carrier don't whine that it fucks up, my carrier free stock one never gave me any gripes.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
This should be the beginning of a true BYOD OS (bring your own device). If this can be installed on any platform out there (with the help of the manufacturers that provide drivers), then I see no reason why this won't catch up.
Unless, of course, some patent troll tries to shoot them down with some "square with round corners"-style patent suits.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I'd love to have a phone set up for this.

Maybe RIM could use this for a version of the BB. I like the BB torch but hate the BB OS, if that makes sense.

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
I hope it renders the same as Firefox for desktop because as a developer I can tell you that when we build a mobile site we only test its rendering on the device browser not third party mobile browsers.

clivene09

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]I have ones question:Are there any phones or tablets that allow dual or triple boot?...[/citation]

HP Touchpad comes to mind. Theoretically I would imagine CWM would make it possible on any phone that has 2 different OS that will run on it.

lathe26

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Fragmentation still -could- happen. For example, Java, in spite of all the hype in its day, suffered from "write once, debug everywhere". Not predicting fragmentation, just saying it could happen.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Mozilla: can't come up with anything original. Copies Opera, copies Chrome. Changes a font which means ff6 is released.

And yeah.. who knows... RIM is already a stupid company, maybe they will stick on ffOS on their devices rather than Android or MS.

So how is ffos any better than ChromeOS?

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Mozilla: can't come up with anything original. Copies Opera, copies Chrome. Changes a font which means ff6 is released.And yeah.. who knows... RIM is already a stupid company, maybe they will stick on ffOS on their devices rather than Android or MS.So how is ffos any better than ChromeOS?[/citation]
Mozilla copies Opera? Might want to look at history.... Opera copied Mozilla by creating a web browser. Mozilla is the same group that created Netscape long before Opera ever existed.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]Mozilla copies Opera? Might want to look at history.... Opera copied Mozilla by creating a web browser. Mozilla is the same group that created Netscape long before Opera ever existed.[/citation]

Firefox has been copying Opera ever since. And so has everyone else for that matter. That's not necessarily bad though. I personally prefer Opera to Firefox, like most people that have used both, but I like Firefox too, and if Opera gets eaten by Facebook, Firefox will be my browser of choice.

I think this is a great idea for them, and I hope it works well. Firefox might not be anyone's favorite browser, but it doesn't seem to be anyone's least favorite browser either. It's a good solid product that does what it's supposed to do, and if their OS does the same, they'll have a winner.

heresiarch

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Unless, of course, some patent troll tries to shoot them down with some "square with round corners"-style patent suits.[/citation]

Unless, of course, Apple tries to shoot them down with some "square with round corners"-style patent suits.

There, fixed it for ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.