Mark Zuckerberg Donating Half His $$$ to Charity

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]tronika[/nom]boy[,] [you're]your in internet terriXtories. [Y]you beXst get out [before]b4 we getX angr[y]XXX.[/citation]

Startingline13

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
[citation][nom]ben BOys[/nom]wait this evil chunt is giving his money aeay. now he's just a chunt imo. still though my opinion of him would be like hitler doing the same. deep down he's a greedy evil chunt[/citation]

So the founder of a social internet network is similar to Hitler because......?

keyanf

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
Instead of giving it to the ineffective school systems, he should be giving it the families to pay for private education.

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
[citation][nom]geossj5[/nom]when billionaires donate half their money at most theyll be multimillionaires.....[/citation]

Assuming they have more than 1 billion and less than 2 billion other wise anything more they would still be billionaires :p

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
His net worth is $7billion dollars. But that doesn't mean he actually has $7b. it maybe $2~5b for all we know.

So... if he has $4b, gave away half (I could use about $10k for my teeth hint hint) - he'd be suffering with only $2billion left.

Hence, thats why giving the richest 1% the bush-tax cut (without paying for it) is so stupid as the rich never really complained before and already have tax cuts and work-arounds (ie: Exxon paid the USA $0 in taxes last year... say waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahat?)

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]micr0be[/nom]yea well if they want to see change in their lifetime they'd better put it into medical fields primarily.like stem cell, cancer and AIDS ... those 3 should keep the donations busy.[/citation]
There are plenty of charities that get barely any funding at all because they don't get nearly as much attention. I'd rather see he give it to one of the lesser known run charities to help them financially as well as bring them much needed attention.

People that just want to look good to others donate to the well known charities, (or just make a pledge to do so 'someday'), but genuinely good people will also donate to charities that few people know of.

With that said, I hope he donates to NORML ;)

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
I heard about this on Pardon the Interruption yesterday, if Tom is getting beat to tech related news like this by a sports show its time to step it up. lol.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]tical2399[/nom]I heard about this on Pardon the Interruption yesterday, if Tom is getting beat to tech related news like this by a sports show its time to step it up. lol.[/citation]
how about you create your own tech related website and stop bitching about things nobody cares about?

G

Am I the only one who read this headline as
'Mark Zuckerberg Donating Half His a$$ to Charity'? Had a real WTH? moment there.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
I would prefer he keeps the money and start up another corporation that creates a few thousand more jobs. The best charity is creating jobs for those in need. Giving billions of dollars to nations in need isn't helping, in fact it's probably hurting. The one lesson throughout history that we cannot seem to get through our thick skulls is we can't defeat nature and nature says survival of the fittest.

G

Respect! Most of these guys don't have the balls to chop of such a big chunk of their cash.But on the other hand I know mark will get all his money back in no time. But I have to admit I like him. He's just a nerd at the moment with to much money. Mabe in 10 years he will be a real Ass hole.

Von Death

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Seriously, no moderators or anti-spam implementation?

All the hate I see for "rich people" is annoying as I have yet to see evidence that wealth correlates with selfishness. In fact, I've seen more evidence that middle and lower economic class people are selfish in the way they spend a higher percentage of income on luxury items. A potentially well off person can easily blow an entire salary on expensive food items, restaurants, Starbucks, expensive but quickly-depreciating electronics (I'm looking at you, Apple), useless hobbies, and a never ending mountain of stuff.

The number 1 reason rich people are resented is that rich people don't give their money to the people resenting them...

Kileak

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
You all do realize that the money he's going to be giving out came out from all our pockets?

That money was made by advertisements. Advertisements from companies we buy products or services from. These companies get their money for advertising in everything we purchase from them. Therefore, if he's got too much money, it's obviously because the companies are all charging us too much for the crap we buy... But you all know what capitalism is so...

As others have commented before, I'd appreciate the money being given to important research such as cancer or diabetes... Let's just hope they can properly distribute the funds and not all end up in some charity organizers' pockets...

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]Kileak[/nom]You all do realize that the money he's going to be giving out came out from all our pockets?[/citation]
That's how it is with all businesses, that doesn't mean you get to have any say in how their profits are spent. If you don't like how they spend their profits you are free to stop doing business with them or using their services.

There's still Myspace, but then you might as well be donating to the GOP. I'll stick with Facebook!

G

Azim Premji of WIPRO a global giant with its Roots in India Donated US$2 Billion, its amazing how they are waking up to help the poor. I wish if there was any means of finding out if this money is being spent responsibly.

Status
Not open for further replies.