Mark Zuckerberg Donating Half His $$$ to Charity

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
[citation][nom]aaron88_7[/nom]how about you create your own tech related website and stop bitching about things nobody cares about?[/citation]

Uh how about no. How about you understand I can say whatever I please and aint a damn thing you can do about it.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
all the hate at mark zuckerberg... sure he did some douchey things in college... but who didn't? from the interviews and info out there he still lives in a reasonable place which last i heard he was renting, has the same girlfriend who isn't just some trophy, she seems liek a reasonably smart and cool person, and when he actually does interviews or is quoted its usually fairly straightforward stuff and now this... stop hating the guy for being sucessful, there are many more people you should hate before this guy

of the way

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
[citation][nom]sseyler[/nom]Whoever*The reason for this is that the clause "whoever is donating" is treated as a noun. Thus, "whomever" would be incorrect, since in the noun clause, it is the subject; it is not part preposition "to" that preceded it. "Whoever" is proper choice when it is the subject of the verb.[/citation]

'it is not part preposition "to" that preceded it.' '"Whoever" is proper choice'

Really?

mikeadelic

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]His net worth is $7billion dollars. But that doesn't mean he actually has $7b. it maybe $2~5b for all we know.So... if he has $4b, gave away half (I could use about $10k for my teeth hint hint) - he'd be suffering with only $2billion left.Hence, thats why giving the richest 1% the bush-tax cut (without paying for it) is so stupid as the rich never really complained before and already have tax cuts and work-arounds (ie: Exxon paid the USA $0 in taxes last year... say waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahat?)[/citation]

I wish people would stop citing this as an example of corporate greed. Exxon incurred massive losses in 2008 and 2009 partly due to oil/stock prices plummeting all over the world. They realized an immediate tax benefit due to loss carryforwards from 2008, which are applicable for tax purposes in subsequent years to offset against profits.

On the other hand, they had accounting profits, which can be drastically different from taxable income because accounting standards require the accrual of income and expenses. A major example would be income that is currently accrued (recorded, for you non-accountants), but won't be received until a future year. As you can see, the IRS cannot 'tax' Exxon on cash that they haven't received yet.

I understand that it is cool and politically correct to hate corporations in general, but please use proper evidence as opposed to ignorant, out-of-context remarks to back up your accusations.

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
i can't say this is a bad thing but someone must realise this isnt all good? the gates foundation is pushing to end hunger in africa with gmo's.....with all that money is very possible that they will succeed (for a couple years) but then africa will be dependant on america for seeds every year. sustainability is our future, and the gates foundation is only being praised by the media (not so much in europe tough)

justinjkiss

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]His net worth is $7billion dollars. But that doesn't mean he actually has $7b. it maybe $2~5b for all we know.So... if he has $4b, gave away half (I could use about $10k for my teeth hint hint) - he'd be suffering with only $2billion left.Hence, thats why giving the richest 1% the bush-tax cut (without paying for it) is so stupid as the rich never really complained before and already have tax cuts and work-arounds (ie: Exxon paid the USA $0 in taxes last year... say waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahat?)[/citation]

The Bush Tax Cut is for way more than the top 1%.... its the people on the low end of the cuts it benefits... The owners of small business are the ones on the low end and they sometimes struggle to survive to the big companies that try running them out... my parents said they would shut down our business if they got taxed more .... there would go 50 jobs.... small number of jobs but think if all the small business owners did that.... the country would be a huge mess.

maybe they should make it that the top 1% dont qualify though as they have enough money and run bigger businesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.