"Maximum Battery Life" vs "Optimized Battery Health"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xenobreak

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
My laptop came with this "Energy Management" software and i'm not sure which battery option to pick... atm it's on "Optimized Battery Health" and the battery usually sits at 60% when plugged in but doesn't charge higher than that. It says 60% available (plugged in, not charging) in the task bar.

the options kinda look like this:

[ ] Maximize Battery Health

This mode maximizes your battery life.

[ ] Optimized Battery Health

This mode provides the longest battery lifespan.

They both sound like they do the same thing... which do you think is the best option? Or maybe it depends on how i use the laptop?

Solution
Maximize Battery Health generally means Energy Management will try to squeeze out as many minutes as possible when the laptop is running on the battery.

Optimized Battery Health means Energy Management limits the battery charge to 60% so that the battery life is not prematurely shortened. Basically between a battery is charged to 100% for a prolonged period of time it can actually shorten the life of the battery. That means if the battery can last 5 hours in normal usage when it is new, that battery life will decrease somewhat quickly over time if the battery is always kept at 100% charge. It has to do with the chemistry of how lithium battery works.
Maximize Battery Health generally means Energy Management will try to squeeze out as many minutes as possible when the laptop is running on the battery.

Optimized Battery Health means Energy Management limits the battery charge to 60% so that the battery life is not prematurely shortened. Basically between a battery is charged to 100% for a prolonged period of time it can actually shorten the life of the battery. That means if the battery can last 5 hours in normal usage when it is new, that battery life will decrease somewhat quickly over time if the battery is always kept at 100% charge. It has to do with the chemistry of how lithium battery works.

Solution

xenobreak

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009

Thanks. So based on this it's probably best to keep it on Optimized Battery Health? I rarely use it on the battery. It's almost always plugged in. And when i do use it on just battery its never anything heavy

xenobreak

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009

That sounds like a good idea. This is my first laptop so i want to make sure it lasts as long as possible.

So just to clarify haha... if i use it while plugged in and the battery out, there wont be any performance hit or anything? And it's safe?

wilburlikesmith

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013

But it's still necessary to charge it now and again, say one a week for like 30 minutes to an hour as I understand. The battery needs exercise, specially when brand new. Also I believe you should never run it completely out.

Emilian Tsanov

Honorable
May 4, 2013
I prefer using Optimized Battery Health, as I mostly have my laptop plugged in. However, removing the battery does not seem like a good idea to me, as one of the perks of a laptop is that it continues to work even if the electricity is cut off. What will happen to my work if I the electricity is cut off and I have my battery in storage somewhere? The laptop will simply stop working. Such an unwanted shutdown could damage your laptop (hardware and software).

Status
Not open for further replies.