Maximum length of RCA cable?

Tim Jones

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
Hi,

I am thinking about purchasing a turntable and a preamp. I want to put them at a considerable distance away from my home receiver near a chair for headphone listening. However if I ever want to listen to it through my speakers on the receiver, I would need an RCA cable from the preamp to the receiver. I know that the longer the wire, the more resistance, and since I will need about an 8 foot extension, I need to know how long the wire can be before it starts to affect performance.

Thanks a bunch

Solution
Hi
Since the output of the preamp is at line level you could easily have a 20 metre extension without a problem.
However make sure you get a good quality extension that is well shielded as the longer the cable the more likely it is to pick up noise.
Also the larger the diameter of the conductor the lower the resistance,though this will be negligable in comparison to the 600 ohm input resistance.

makkem

Distinguished
Hi
Since the output of the preamp is at line level you could easily have a 20 metre extension without a problem.
However make sure you get a good quality extension that is well shielded as the longer the cable the more likely it is to pick up noise.
Also the larger the diameter of the conductor the lower the resistance,though this will be negligable in comparison to the 600 ohm input resistance.

Solution

Tim Jones

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

Thanks! I will definitely keep this in mind when shopping for my setup :)