May Patch Tuesday Comes with Twist for Windows 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssdpro

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
This strange propaganda is getting really old. A couple weeks ago the internet was full of wild alarmist articles titled "Microsoft abandons Windows 8.1" all because Microsoft said there was now a prerequisite update to receive further updates. Why would Microsoft be "abandoning" anything if the end user is the one choosing not to update? Windows 8.1 is a disaster but not for reasons like this.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
It's getting to the point where eventually Microsoft will end up requiring a password from administrators in order to install software.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
It's getting to the point where eventually Microsoft will end up requiring a password from administrators in order to install software.
Honestly that would probably cut down on virus infestations on a lot of computers.

CodeMatias

Estimable
Mar 12, 2014
"April 8, 2014 and includes some interface tweaks, such as the ability to run Windows 8's Metro apps from within the desktop."

Clearly the author isn't using Windows 8... The only thing you can currently do with metro apps in the desktop is pin them to the task bar. No windowed mode at all!

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
Haha I have Windows 8.0 and I can get all the updates for about 2 more years
Why wouldn't you want the latest iteration of 8.1? It's an improvement, and getting better with every major update, especially for non-touch interface.

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Too many people are getting borked computers upgrading from 8.0 to 8.1. They are losing two to three days productivity having to fix their computers. More and more reasons why Windows 8 was a disaster from start to finish. It will go down in annals as Microsoft's worst OS

bryonhowley

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
Windows 8/8.1 is NOT a disaster it is in fact the best and I mean the best OS Microsoft has put out on many years. Much better than Windows XP ever was. And if people have not got the Windows 8.1 Update 1 then they should be banned from getting any future updates period. Microsoft should block those PC's from getting any updates to Microsoft Software completely until they install Update 1.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Haha I have Windows 8.0 and I can get all the updates for about 2 more years
Why wouldn't you want the latest iteration of 8.1? It's an improvement, and getting better with every major update, especially for non-touch interface.

Upgrading from Windows 8.0 to 8.1 Update 1 gives me near zero benefit, I doubt I will see any changes since I use Start8, most if not all GUI changes has to do with "modern UI", which I never use. 8.1 has 3D printing support and a new security feature but it's not a big deal.

Waiting for them to update Explorer.exe to fully support file paths longer than 255 characters in length, and to also hopefully display correct units (EX: GB vs GiB, etc).
A leaner Task Manager, more verbose BSOD option (not a big deal), option to start installing Windows Updates as others are still being downloaded.

s997863

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
"Windows 8/8.1 is NOT a disaster it is in fact the best and I mean the best OS Microsoft has put out on many years"
Better get the marketing dept to file that next to the "Windows xxxx just got better!" slogan that appears while installing everything since win95. They can use it for every next failure: "Windows-12 is NOT a disaster ..."
May Patch Tuesday Comes ... unnngggggnnhh. Half my day's brainpower melted trying to process that incoherent sentence before reading the article.

Status
Not open for further replies.