Mayor Swims With Sharks to Attact Google Fiber

Status
Not open for further replies.

blasterth

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
I want it! But anyway with 10 times less bandwidth I can download more HD video than I can watch!
Maybe is more useful for hosting a busy website, than for a common user.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
really, no need to name a whole City "Google" might as well name it "Japan" as they already have connections at this speed... This is not something people should have to beg for, it is something that the government should deem standard issue. No wonder why the rest of the world thinks of us Americans as retards...

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Google is so good at pulling off these "What would you do for a Klondike bar" PR stunts its not even funny. Some of this is embarrassing to see your Official City/State/County law makers out there on television bowing to Corporations.

Those same cities/states/counties can simple stop signing 10 year contracts with Cable/Telco's and instead create there own local municipal broadband system like many others have rather than do this. Can't blame Google though, they are just showing Americans how desperate people really are. Comcasts 16/2 lowest plan is good for me, I don't need to watch elected officials make an ass out of themselves for attention.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]Attach*Also, not all sharks bite/kill humans.If they were piranhas, then it's a different story.[/citation]

I agree, which is why this mayor's stunt was lackluster. Chum the water, and dress the man as a tuna; that will get people's attention!

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]jonpaul37[/nom]really, no need to name a whole City "Google" might as well name it "Japan" as they already have connections at this speed... This is not something people should have to beg for, it is something that the government should deem standard issue. No wonder why the rest of the world thinks of us Americans as retards...[/citation]

When you say "standard issue" do you mean government run broadband services? I know Comcast is bad, but have you ever been to the DMV, or a VA hospital?

"Sure we will be out to hook up your high speed broadband! Let me just check the computer for an appointment date; let's see, we will be out next year between Jan 1 and Dec 31. We will need you to be at home..."

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Isn't Ann Arbor, Michigan home to a small college or prep school that uses a lot of bandwidth? Couldn’t the 300 resident there (mostly student at that high school) simply leech off their school’s internet connection?

G

I wish the politicians around here were that up to speed on technology. You would never find anyone willing to do something like this to improve internet access for their community around these parts. I doubt the politicians around here could program a dang VCR. BTW, I live in Chattanooga, TN, USA.

later

Tedders

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I know our city is going for it. Our population goes from about 35,000 people to over 80,000 during school. We have a good combination of small city but giant DIV 1 school with a lot of needs.

G

This is pathetic. In a cents, people would do anything for money these days, pun intended. Politicians... Best if I left this subject unsaid.

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]Attach*Also, not all sharks bite/kill humans.If they were piranhas, then it's a different story.[/citation]
Piranha usually won't attack a full grown human male, unless he's injured or bleeding, or is a midget.

Status
Not open for further replies.