Solved! Media keys stopped working (require fn key now)

Nov 9, 2018
Media keys not working unless you press fn key (normally i would just press the desired media key), I want to be able to use media keys without fn key combo. I have an HP x2 detachable with windows 10.

Solution
When a Function key has two jobs to do, one is the icon printed the same colour as is the Fn key itself. An example could be Function 4 for wi-fi has the wireless icon in blue. If blue is the colour on the Fn key, you need to press both keys together.

Whatever the other function on, say F4 again, is Mute sound and is in black, just pressing the key without the Fn It almost doubles the number of keys. F5 is usually reserved because it refreshes the page on an Internet site.
When a Function key has two jobs to do, one is the icon printed the same colour as is the Fn key itself. An example could be Function 4 for wi-fi has the wireless icon in blue. If blue is the colour on the Fn key, you need to press both keys together.

Whatever the other function on, say F4 again, is Mute sound and is in black, just pressing the key without the Fn It almost doubles the number of keys. F5 is usually reserved because it refreshes the page on an Internet site.

Solution

robert600

Distinguished
"How To Bypass the Function Key

Must Disable in the BiOS:

1. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

2. Press the f10 key to open the BiOS setup window. (On newer computers, you need to hold down the "esc" key. Then you can opt to go into the BiOS settings.)

3. Use the right-arrow or left-arrow keys to navigate to the System Configuration option.

4. Use the up-arrow or down-arrow keys to navigate to the Action Keys Mode option, and then press the "enter" key to display the Enable / Disable menu.

5. Select the desired mode:

6. Disabled: You still have the ability to use all those neat shortcut features like ejecting discs, toggling the WiFi and so on with the f1 through f12 keys. Now, in order to use them, you need to hold down the "fn" button to activate the shortcut feature. For example, if Disabled , pressing fn + f11 will mute the sound as indicated on the key on this model PC. Alternatively, pressing f11 only will minimize and maximize a web browser if open. (The action keys may vary depending on the model of notebook.)

7. Enabled : Requires pressing only f1 through f12 to use the action as indicated on the action keys.

Press the f10 key to save and then restart the computer."

It sounds to me that you want the 'action key mode' enabled!